Elephant hill, Devil's kitchen, Beef basin, Dark canyon wheeling trip 6/17-6/21 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scary but neat experience. That's the spot the dude in the exocage hilux flopped (technically 3/4 rolled) because he wanted to try to take a wide turn and go forward down the section you're supposed to back down. Cool thing was once righted, it fired right up and we continued the trail run. This was at Cruise Moab 2010.

2010-05-02 027.jpg
2010-05-02 058.jpg

Have I done those trails by myself?! Of course without u guys help it wouldn’t possible. Thanks a lot. 🙏🏽
Best video of driving Elephant Hill I have ever seen.. As if I was driving the road. Thanks!! At night would be a little too much for me.

Looks like fun! I was in Moab last week and it was HOT too!

Dude,

Have you been to any of our breakfast meetings? If so, I can't recall your name!!

Folks,

This was an EPIC trip, AGAIN. Despite the high temps, I couldn't have had any more fun even if I tried. The team work, abundant humor and ample learning opportunities made this trip a huge success in my book. Thank you for joining and "rolling" with it. I've never camped in these temps before but having a place to hide out during the heat of the day made this camping particularly memorable. Where else can you nap under gigantic sandstones that could crush you in a fraction of a second?

No vehicles were hurt on this trip but Larry did slip and hurt his wrist. Newcomer Taghi did a fine job of piloting his Lundy (LX Hundy) nary a single scratch on his factory bumper covers. Flatlanders Carlos & Margaret are in the process of streamlining their camping setup before their next trip out. Their biggest source of consternation was that things weren't easy to find in their rig. I don't think this streamlining process ever stops, well at least not for me anyway :bang: . I'm particularly proud of the kitchen box in the back and still thank Isabelle for sewing up the awesome utensil holder.

These kinds of trips are an eye opening experience for flat landers who are used to luscious green scenery and seeing things through their eyes make you appreciate the high desert once again. Yeah, it ain't pretty to some but the stark beauty sure is breathtaking to others. Where else can you see a 10 ton rock balanced on a point?

Data:
  • Annie and I used up seven gallons of drinking water but I only had five gallons. Thank you Larry for the extra two gallons of drinking water.
  • We used up about nine gallons of non potable water for dish duties and nightly showers. Showering is a rare luxury while out in this heat but it made sleeping that much more doable.
  • My co-pilot kept making us electrolyte drinks that aren't full of sugar and that was a HUGE plus while out in this heat. She also brought several cans of coconut water which is a great way to stave off heat related headaches or lethargy.
  • Ice - oh how we missed ice in our water bottles. Thank you Jon for storing our water bottles which we switched out daily.
  • Shade - I've said this before and I'll say it again. You can't EVER have enough shade in the desert. Holy schmoly, this made life way more tolerable.
  • Even though I installed a new Koyo radiator before this trip, the coolant system was hitting 225deg regularly so I need to investigate this ASAP. The over heating might be a symptom of the engine running too lean, as I was getting P0171 code repeatedly on this trip.
  • The NAPA power steering pump kept puking out ATF so that was no bueno but functioned ok.
  • Extreme heat driving brings out the weaknesses in our old rigs, that's for sure. Thank you again Jon for giving me half can of R134a to top off the A/C system. It helped out a ton.
Keep those pics coming folks!

Hide out spot

1624452925552.png

Side note: Larry forgot his hiking boots and his wife left them next to her car at work so that I can grab them on our way out of town. As I rolled up, caught this guy trying to steal them:

Here's the google photo album where folks are dumping their pics and vids into:

Last edited:
Thanks for them pics and video, I’m living vicariously through your bumper mounted go pro @pappy

Who remembers E-Hill from ~2001? Last year was the 2nd time I had driven this while in a 5th Gen 4R on 33's and the whole time I was trying to imagine this section from the few point of myself in 2001 solo driving a bone stock 5 speed 2nd Gen 4R complete with running boards. I do remember the passenger walking 90% of it to guide me through it.
Has it changed much or is it about the same?
This was the first slick rock I had driven and the next step up from driving 165 here in the winter....:rofl:

Seems like an ok place to put this…a similar trip that happened in May. Here’s the video I just finished up.
@juane check out the 3D textured model I made of Over/Under ruins at the very end. I also have a physical model that I 3-D printed😎

That 3D texture at the end was outrageous, Steve. Nice job with the video. Steve always picks the correct music with the right tempo 👍

Just to give everyone some more info, the first set of ruins is called the Split ruins, located on Butler wash, south of Hwy 95. Second set of ruins is called Over Under ruins off of Cottonwood wash, north of hwy 95.

Last edited:
Steve, you are the Drone King. Excellent work. Thanks for posting. Glad We did this trip and what a great way to document it.

Steve, you are the Drone King. Excellent work. Thanks for posting. Glad We did this trip and what a great way to document it.
That, along with mad video editing skills.

Wow Steve,
We need to talk!
Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom