electrical question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
AAAAaaahhhhh My cruiser wont start.

The other day I pull the cruiser into the shop to lube everything up and wire my blower, so I could have some heat. Well things worked out fine and lots of air blows.

Today I go to start the cruise and it turns over just fine, but does not start. I got fuel and pressure at the carb. Pulled one of the plugs and turned it over no spark.

I looked for a loose wire or ground but found none. Some directions as to what I should look for next would be helpful.

BTW it is a sbc

Thanks
Albee

I could be a coincidence but I'm guessing either you broke a contact / wire or blew a fuse or relay.

I would go over your wiring the blower. Obviously, no spark is your problem.

Did you short the coil? How about the ballast resistor?

If sbc is small block chevy, the above may not apply.

I was going to sugest much of the same that jmylie said but I would also check the make sure you didn't tie into an ignition or hot wire in parallel. If you did the added current draw could blow a fuse or even burn wiring (which you should have smelled) if not protected by a fuse or fuseable link. The heater could have a relay because of the high current draw so it would be easy to overload.

check the wiring for the coil/dizzy...

did you forget to put the wire from the coil to the dizzy back on? or do you have hei?

did you forget to put the wire from the coil to the dizzy back on? or do you have hei?[/QUOTE]

Hei How do I check to see if it is fried?

is there power to the big wire on the distributer

Yes, their is power when the key is on

The blower only matters, because I may have knocked a wire loose or something.

thanks albee

ignition

Hmm

I would have guessed a blown fuse too double check sometimes they will go near the edge and its not that obvious looking at them

if you want to check your ignition is okay then you could just run a wire from your batt to your coil then bump it over by going across the solenoid connections with a remote starter or a screwdriver

I have heard the pertronix 1 ignition will fry if the key is left on too long I am not sure if the same is true for the HEI--- anyone else know? I'd like to know that myself

The ignition coil circuit is not fused on a '67. Look for a spark from the coil center wire. With the points open, sort across the contacts with a screw driver and look for a spark from the coil.

i've never had a problem with leaving key on and having the hei fry..

i would be able to help so much more if my cruiser wasnt taken apart in the garage right now...

sorry. if you give me some readings with a DMM (digital multimeter) then i might be able to help . first turn the key on and disconnect the batt cable that plugs into the coil on top of the dizzy, and connect the meter to the wire you just disconnected and to some sort of ground. whats the voltage? check the resistance of your plug wires, should be somewhere in the 1000 ohms range.

my college shop manual (which is current as i'm in college right now) says the following about diagnosing a no-start condition.
first you must diagonse why.
test the secondary circuit first by doing the following:
pull a spark plug and then place the outside (nut or threads) against the engine. balance the spark plug so that you dont touch it while the engine is cranking. if that one doesnt spark, try a different plug and wire. the cause may be the secondary side of the coil and/or the cap and rotor. try the primary now by disconnecting the negative or tach port on the coil and hooking a test light to the coil. if the light flashes while the engine is cranking then the primary side is good.

if it is getting power in but none is coming out then its got to be the coil. could be just a coincidence that it went down with the heater install. where are you located? if youre in the denver area you could come take a look at mine...

hope this helps,
Logan

Problem Fixed

The problem was lack of power to the hei. I am going wheeling, like now.
Thanks for the good suggestions
Albee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom