Electric, wired ratchet wrench? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm looking for a wired, 120VAC mains, ratchet wrench. No battery 👈 I hate batteries. Does one exist?

I've never seen one; doesn't mean that they don't exist though.

An air ratchet is awfully handy, if you have a compressor. Even a small compressor will run one.

An air ratchet is awfully handy, if you have a compressor. Even a small compressor will run one.

It is indeed. And I have a medium-duty compressor. It is so simple and easy to run a long extension cord out of my house to the street (long story about where I live, not worth the description) vs. an air hose. I use an electric impact wrench for lug nuts and other trivialities. Pneumatic tools are great but I don't have a garage necessarily in which to work.

Recently was wrenching at a hotel parking lot in Moab (no compressor) and thought about how nice it would be to have a wired electric one.

What did batteries ever do to you ? My new 12v milwaukee 3/8" drive ratchet is small and now indispensable in my toolbox. Battery technology has improved quite a bit in the last ten years. Maybe you should give it another go?

I had a cheap set of air tools. The only one I'll miss is the air hammer for loosening stuff. I'm not going to replace them any time soon because I'm on the Milwaukee M18 bus. I never had luck with battery operated stuff either until I got these. I'm sure the other brands battery technology is just as good but I am sticking with the red ones because of the track record in my shop. I even replaced my stolen wired Milwaukee badass sawsall with their new 15amp equivalent battery operated unit. Go see, or borrow, your buddy's modern battery operated tools at work and ask him if he has ever replaced a battery for it.

So... after saying signora to air tools, rather than buying the M12 extended 3/8 ratchet I purchased this SP mini air wrench. It is tiny and rather quiet. I used it yesterday in a tight spot I would never get a battery M12 unit in. I have a huge M18 1/2 impact. It is a beast but I'm liking the little air ratchet which is smaller than the battery for the beast.

So... after saying signora to air tools, rather than buying the M12 extended 3/8 ratchet I purchased this SP mini air wrench. It is tiny and rather quiet. I used it yesterday in a tight spot I would never get a battery M12 unit in. I have a huge M18 1/2 impact. It is a beast but I'm liking the little air ratchet which is smaller than the battery for the beast.

I love my 3/8" air ratchet; so handy for spinning nuts and bolts out, especially in tight spaces. Had a Craftsman one for years that broke, now I have one I bought at the annual tool sale at NAPA, can't remember what brand it is.

I love my 3/8" air ratchet; so handy for spinning nuts and bolts out, especially in tight spaces. Had a Craftsman one for years that broke, now I have one I bought at the annual tool sale at NAPA, can't remember what brand it is.
My Craftsman 3/8 ratchet that came bundled with my compressor ( birthday present from my wife Kathy) was stolen in the burglary. I used it a lot but this SP is much nicer. The burglary has precipitated a serious upgrade of my tool inventory. Cup is half full and rising!

After some less than favorable cordless tool experiences early on, I stayed away from them as well - until earlier this year. I still mainly use air and corded tools in my shop, but picked up a basic selection of DeWalt 20V tools. I have to admit that they're pretty great for small jobs that don't merit unrolling the air hose or extension cord - or for something out in the yard, house, or otherwise away from the shop.

Unfortunately, the 20V line doesn't have a ratchet. They do have one in the 18V line, but one of my issues with battery tools is the issue of batteries being dead when you go to use them. With the set of 20V tools, I use at least something often enough to keep the batteries charged. But I could see the ratchet sitting for months before I'd go to use it and then I'd be back to the battery issues.

never seen a wired ratchet like mentioned. No pain in modern Milwaukee brand battery powered tools, in fact some of them really kick @$$. I'm an old school air powered guy on some of the tools, that is...until my mechanic friend clued me in on the state of modern battery powered tools (in the past they really sucked), not true now-days. Hop on amazon or tool site of your choice, some of the electric stuff will put out some crazy torque...and I mean crazy...like shear bolts. I have a collection of the Milwaukee stuff and I think they are great. I'm going to stick with that brand to aovid different batteries and chargers. Major improvement on battery powered tools in the last 4-5 years, check in with the shop of your choice and pay attention to what they are using.

My buddy works in a toyota dealer mechanic shop. He uses the snap-on battery powered stuff on some tools and others he likes the Milwaukee, but you are talking about the full gamut of shop work from all stuff engine related, tires, brakes..everything. Few air tools in the mix, many battery powered. Now the snap-on stuff is crazy priced...but as noted there are some good options otherwise.
one feature that you may not think about is the flexablity of battery tools in that you just need a few batteries and you are in business and you are not tied to an air hose, this can be a problem but in general its an asset overall.

Last edited:
I will also say that I've been really surprised at the power Milwaukee gets out of the M12 system. With any cordless system, the initial investment sucks, but there are some compact options in the M12 line that don't have an analogue in the M18 family.
I did a brief "google," and didn't see any corded electric ratchets.

Have some battery operated tools and some air tools and some corded electric.
One good thing about battery powered tools is you don't have a cord wrapping around things and getting snagged.
If you don't go cheap and get good ones with 18 volts or better they can have more torque than a 110 models.
I like my air ratchet and grinders and use them over the corded ones.
If you have a decent compressor you can run air tools all day with out over heating them.
Years ago when I was doing a lot of sand buggying I had a compressor made out of a York AC pump.
I ran my impact off it for removing the road tires and installing the sand tires when I got to the dunes.
If I had to set up my garage again I would go as much cordless as I could and have some air tools as back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom