EGR VSV Success on my LX450 (fj80) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used this part, thanks for the information! One thing I did different was drilled a hole Approx. 1/4" in the intake manifold bracket, then used the thread on the new VSV and screwed it into place from the inside. This way it is out of the way, but easily removed or replaced. Well worth the $49.00!

2013-03-18_15-39-53_952.jpg

I used this part, thanks for the information! One thing I did different was drilled a hole Approx. 1/4" in the intake manifold bracket, then used the thread on the new VSV and screwed it into place from the inside. This way it is out of the way, but easily removed or replaced. Well worth the $49.00!

This is exactly what I just did a few days ago and it only cost the Amazon price. It appears to be a better place than the original -at least easier to get to if ever need to again.

Anyone have an aftermarket substitue for the Evap VSV #90910-12143(California model)? And...how do you figure out which plug in is "similar"?:hmm:
I have the EGR and the Evap VSV to replace. :rolleyes: Both failed one of the 4 tests per the FSM.
Thanks,
:cool:

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a call back from CDan on the OEM part cost, but if it's out of my budget then I'm gonna give this a try. Sorry for digging up an old thread, but the PO401 code fix is ALWAYS relevant.

I did buy the Dorman vsv back in September but I haven't had the time to install it until this morning. I have one question. I know a few mentioned on this thread they installed this VSV. I want to know for those who installed it on the backside of the manifold bracket if they needed to buy longer hoses or it the factory hoses were sufficient. Here's a pic from earlier in the thread that shows what I'm referencing.

2013-03-18_15-39-53_952.jpg

For those of you struggling with code P0401, I just successfully completed an experiment with the VSV. After testing my EGR system, I discovered that I had a dead VSV. It wasn't turnng on when applying 12v to it. It was fried and in need of replacement. I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $119 for the oem toyota part... besides, no one had it locally here in the DFW area. It seems that in most cases it's a special order part. None of the retail auto parts stores seem to carry an aftermarket replacement either. Being the impatient person I am, I started looking for an alternative way to repair my VSV issue without having to special order and wait for a part. My assumption was that the VSV didn't necessarily need to be the exact oem part. Afterall, it's basically just a vacuum solenoid that turns on and off, either allowing vacuum to the egr when 12v is applied to it or not allowing vacuum to the egr when no voltage is supplied. In my thinking, I figured any vacuum solenoid from any manufacturer should work as long as it fit the toyota vsv's electrical plug off of the wiring harness. Side note: Apparently there are a lot of terms for this particular part among different manufacters: vsv, egr control valve, egr vacuum solenoid, etc...

So I searched different locally available parts that had the same function as the toyota VSV part #90910-12079. There are literally hundreds of vsv parts out there. I ended up stumbling across this one at autozone. Dorman/EGR Vacuum Solenoid (911-850) | AutoZone.com. It's dorman part #911-850. It was the closest thing I could find to the toyota vsv that was instantly available, so I bought it and decided to give it a shot.

I ended up just leaving the broken vsv in place and relocating the new vsv just outside of the intake manifold. I bought some new vacuum tubing and extended the lines to reach my new mounting location. I unplugged the blue electrical connector plug from the old vsv and plugged up the new part. I did have to shave off a little piece of plastic on the new vsv so the plug would fit, but it was minor and took about 30 seconds to modify. After it was all plugged in, I zip tied the new part in place, tidied up my install and went for a test drive. The second I hit 50mph on the interstate, my egr system showed "readiness" on my code reader. No CEL. All systems show readiness, and my LX450 is as good as new!

So my theory was correct that other aftermarket vacuum solenoids will work fine on the fj80 egr system as long as you're ok with it not mounting in the orignal location and as long as the part just has 2 vacuum ports and the right electrical plug. I just used what was available to me and in stock locally and it cost me $45, but I assume you could pick a similar part up for as little as $15 depending on your local stock.

All in all, the whole process took about 25 minutes. The hardest part was moving the black intake bracket out of the way so I could get my hand underneath the intake to access the vsv vacuum lines and electrical plug. Once I figured out how to get a ratchet on the bottom bolt of the intake bracket it was smooth sailing.

If anyone is interested, I can snap some pics to show the process. I have to admit it feels really good to have that CEL off and all systems "ready" with no codes! And on top of that, I have the satisfaction of not getting screwed out of $120 for a really cheap little part! Take that Toyota!

how exactly did you know what hoses to use if you didn't remove the old VSV from the original spot. Did you just guess?. I am getting ready to do the vsv swap. Thanks for all the information

For members in CA. you don't want to "rig it" like the OP because it will fail visual for tampering. Just a FYI. I'm in the same boat but I don't have emissions here where I live and another tech at my dealer has a Camry VSV and we were going to try it. It uses the same exact plug, it's free. Haven't got around to it yet.

I did buy the Dorman vsv back in September but I haven't had the time to install it until this morning. I have one question. I know a few mentioned on this thread they installed this VSV. I want to know for those who installed it on the backside of the manifold bracket if they needed to buy longer hoses or it the factory hoses were sufficient. Here's a pic from earlier in the thread that shows what I'm referencing.

Looks to me as if the hose on the driver's side will fit the Dorman part. The one that attaches to the passenger side will need to be extended to reach the new VSV. I'm about to use the Dorman on mine. I'll know for sure in a few days.

Cant believe this worked so easily. My CEL has been on since I bought my LX, dash feels empty without the soft orange glow.

I mounted mine just behind the metal intake support, a bracket could easily be made to fit, looks almost factory, as far as hoses go you could reuse the driver side one, but all in all you're only going to use a foot or less if you replace both, and mine dissentegrated during the fix. Worth the 10¢ to fix it

i've been working on eliminating this code 71 myself, mileage has been down about 2-3 mpg (from 15) with code on. I am going to try a usem , tested OEM VSV off ebay for $25 first, then go further if need be. Also will be relocating VSV to a more accessible location....

just chiming in.

Thanks to the OP for this info. Worked like a charm, no more CEL on my '97 LC. FYI, I paid $21.70 for the Dorman part from Amazon.

I was tempted to go that route (Amazon) until I read the bad reviews.

Good luck.

thank you for this post... my cel P0401 cleared and passed smog. wooo hooo!

So I'm gonna bump this. I've got the doorman 911-850 vsv.
I haven't gotten in the engine bay yet,
But what I'm hung up on is what line from where goes to which port on the doorman vsv?
Ideally I'd also like to know what/where the connector needs to be trimmed. I know it's a simple job, but I like to have an idea as to what I'm getting into beforehand.

I just ordered an OEM VSV off Amazon that should be delivered tomorrow. I need a part number or link to the tubing I'll need if I decide to move the location of this thing. Anyone know the size or type of vacuum tube?

Any update for those who used the Dorman VSV 911-850 do it last long? Based on amazon reviews , fails in 30,000 miles.

Any update for those who used the Dorman VSV 911-850 do it last long? Based on amazon reviews , fails in 30,000 miles.

I'm on my 2nd one in 50k and I just started getting the CEL for P0401 again every few days. Not sure that's the cause this time but I've replaced everything but the actual EGR in my system so far.

The AutoZone site claims they give a lifetime warranty on the part. Might be worth the extra $ to pick it up from them and when it dies just drive up and swap out. Thoughts?

I just ordered an OEM VSV off Amazon that should be delivered tomorrow. I need a part number or link to the tubing I'll need if I decide to move the location of this thing. Anyone know the size or type of vacuum tube?

2nd on info regarding which tubing to purchase. New owner here wanting to get this fixed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom