EGR - replace or leave disconnected? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After much frustration over the last 5 months, I finally figured out my hesitation issues. 40 is an 81 so it's full of vacuum lines and emissions gear. After searching and searching this board, literally for months, I found a post in the 60 section where a guy had disconnected his EGR completely and plugged the vacuum line that goes into it. I tried it, and WOW is all I can say. It's like having a new truck now.

Question is this: do I leave it un-plugged, and if so, what are the side effects of leaving it that way? Should I just buy and install a new EGR, spend the 182 bucks and just keep it right, or does it even matter?

I'm really hyped that I got this fixed, and it runs great. Just want to make sure I'm not creating another headache for myself down the road. Thanks in advance.

-Justin

No it won't hurt anything to plug the line because the valve will just stay closed.

It is mildly peculiar that you experienced a big change in performance. Normally it would be hard to notice EGR operation, because the valve closes when you get on it. If the valve was stuck open, it would idle poorly but you wouldn't expect plugging the vacuum line to change this.

Maybe the change in performance is coindicental.

it's like a whole new truck at this point. I started out with new plugs, wires, dizzy cap, rotor, re-did all the vacuum lines (which is a lot), then got a Jim C carb rebuild, new check valve and nothing changed with respect to the hesitation and poor driveability. Mostly around 2000 rpms it was worst, but noticable at other times as well.

I drove the truck abougt 40 miles up steep grades last night after I plugged that hose to the EGR, and it never hesitated once. It sounds like some guys in the 60's section have had a similar experience.

Whatever it was with the EGR, it wasn't functioning correctly, and bypassing it has made a tremendous difference. Thanks to all for your help.

Sweet Justin! i wouldn't bother with a new EGR, just leave it plugged.

Time for a roll cage!

yep, really helps

Question is this: do I leave it un-plugged, and if so, what are the side effects of leaving it that way? Should I just buy and install a new EGR, spend the 182 bucks and just keep it right, or does it even matter?

JJ;

Yea, I did the same when my FJ40 was fairly new and it really helped; ran better and less burp noises.

... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom