EGR pipe ball sleeve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have an idea where to buy a new ball sleeve for the EGR pipe to cooler fitting (PN 90410-25041)? This pipe (the SOR SS version) keeps leaking on me.
The sleeve (ferrule) is no longer available from Toyota anywhere, and all other vendors only offer used ones, which I don't think is a good idea for a ferrule. Is this possibly available as a generic part? I looked around, but can't find anything in the size of the EGR pipe (1")

Thanks.

Your going to have a hard time finding a new one of those. try a used one, I did get one from SOR a long time ago...

The SOR SS pipe has a very slightly smaller diameter than the original pipe (at least mine did).

If the EGR valve has been permanently disconnected, the EGR plumbing is going to eventually leak a bit at that joint or the gasket connecting the J-pipe to the ex manifold. It may also eventually leak a little at idle.

The EGR plumbing normally has very litte back pressure (leaks) when the valve is open while driving because the exhaust is getting sucked into the manifold. Its only when the engine is driven cold or the EGR valve has been disconnected that the exhaust pressure in the EGR plumbing increases to a point to become an annoying leak. It wasn't designed to run like that.

You can McGyver a workaround by removing the J-pipe and bending it a tad. No too much. You want the bend to be just enough that it takes a little force (—little—) to push it up to reach the two studs on the bottom of the ex manifold. Right now, the j-pipe fits perfectly. That's why it's loose. You don't want that. You want it to "almost" fit so you can apply some force to bolt it up to the manifold.
That at least will seal of the top & bottom of the pipe in the cooler as it jambs tight.

Thanks for the feedback. The EGR plumbing and valve is all still there; I am in CA, and need to pass smog.. But you are right, the leak is most noticeable when the engine is cold, or when accelerating, i.e. when the EGR valve closes.

If the SOR pipe indeed has a smaller OD, that would explain things.. I bought it because it supposedly makes the seal in the flange to the exhaust manifold last longer, but if it causes problems at the connection to the cooler because the OD doesn't match the ID of the ferrule, not sure if that was such a good idea..

I can try your bending trick, but how about using some high temp. sealant around the ferrule? Any suggestions for type/brand?

Thanks.

you could try a good used one, I'm thinking there are many available. I've got several on the shelf, I'm thinking other do also.

@NLFJ60 how did this work out for you? Wondering if I need to find a good used ferrule for the cooler fitting. I have the SOR j pipe and want to do this install one time only. Thanks

I have not tried to fix the leak yet. My mechanic suggested to use a spacer between the flange on the J-pipe and the manifold, as he felt the pipe is too far away from the manifold, making it hard to seal at the flange.

Don't use a spacer on the flange, that's ridiculous.

People say it won't work but it did for me (8 years now), with the SOR SS tube:

692022_Ultra_Copper_Zoom__39992.1498844812.jpg

I used it both places, cuz I had a problem with the gasket at the flange repeatedly blowing out. I then used a Toyota OE gasket with the RTV goop and so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom