ECM Thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy everybody,

I've been thinking about this new ECM that I found on the interwebs lately and was wondering if anyone out there has either tried it or has even heard of it? The ECM comes from a company called Speeduino and is an open source project (so you could literally download their schematics and mill your own board if you had the mill to do so). Anyway, it peaked my interest for running one of these setups on my 60 as it has a TBI setup and a not "TBI stock" 350, which has made tuning an absolute nightmare (i.e. I don't get all of the power from the engine and milage sucks because I'm not getting all of the power etc...).

So, has anyone out there heard of it? Running it? If so, on what?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

Howdy everybody,

I've been thinking about this new ECM that I found on the interwebs lately and was wondering if anyone out there has either tried it or has even heard of it? The ECM comes from a company called Speeduino and is an open source project (so you could literally download their schematics and mill your own board if you had the mill to do so). Anyway, it peaked my interest for running one of these setups on my 60 as it has a TBI setup and a not "TBI stock" 350, which has made tuning an absolute nightmare (i.e. I don't get all of the power from the engine and milage sucks because I'm not getting all of the power etc...).

So, has anyone out there heard of it? Running it? If so, on what?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.
Is that not a Holley sniper?

sure sounds like what you described

Negative. This is a DYI kinda thing. It is pretty BA from the way that it is described on their web page and all of the documentation. I have looked at the Sniper for sure, but I feel that I could get this Speeduino up and running for under $200 easy - especially if I mill the circuit board.

Negative. This is a DYI kinda thing. It is pretty BA from the way that it is described on their web page and all of the documentation. I have looked at the Sniper for sure, but I feel that I could get this Speeduino up and running for under $200 easy - especially if I mill the circuit board.
Get on it! That’s way cheap

Then when it works I’ll whore out your brain and lead me in the right direction 🤣

They're not really super new. One of my friends was running his car on one for awhile. It's the kind of thing that would be an enjoyable experience if you really know what you're doing. And if you don't it will be be a really really un-enjoyable experience.
The annoying thing with ECU's like that is that they don't have 5K different maps like a OEM ECU does - this shows when you're on the trail, trying to back-up up-hill, while steering, and feathering the throttle, all at the same time, etc

I know this isn't what you asked, but if you are at the skill set of messing around with a Speeduino, and already set up for SBC, there is no reason you couldn't easily have it running with a 4.8 or 5.3 LS with a stock PCM for $400-$1K

Get on it! That’s way cheap

Then when it works I’ll whore out your brain and lead me in the right direction 🤣
I'm on it! I milled the first board to check out how the thickness of the tracks would do, sadly they were too thin and pealed off. So, I am currently redesigning the board in KiCAD to make the tracks a little wider and make the vias a bit larger so the PCB mill will not struggle as much (or take 8 hours to mill). Once I have a good board, I'll definitely start a build thread.

They're not really super new. One of my friends was running his car on one for awhile. It's the kind of thing that would be an enjoyable experience if you really know what you're doing. And if you don't it will be be a really really un-enjoyable experience.
The annoying thing with ECU's like that is that they don't have 5K different maps like a OEM ECU does - this shows when you're on the trail, trying to back-up up-hill, while steering, and feathering the throttle, all at the same time, etc

I know this isn't what you asked, but if you are at the skill set of messing around with a Speeduino, and already set up for SBC, there is no reason you couldn't easily have it running with a 4.8 or 5.3 LS with a stock PCM for $400-$1K
Yeah I saw that they're not super new - looks like they've been going for 10 years or so. I am learning how to do it on the fly for sure, been reading circuit design and theory to get up to speed on it before I dive all the way in.

Do agree with you about the maps. All I can find on their forums are maps for 4 bangers. If you know someone that has built up a map for a 350 in TunerStudio I would love to talk with them! ;)

And lastly, the whole reason I started to go down this road is because I was looking into swapping my ECM with an LS. I would also love to just swap out that engine for an LS but I am grounded from engine swaps at this point... (unless I can talk the warden into a EM conversion!)

This will be a great project if you love infinite tinkering

It's been a hot minute since the last update, but I think a build thread will be in order...
Milling the board turned out to be not a great plan due to either the KiCAD program not sending the correct trace widths to the PCB mill software or the PCB mills inability to cut traces that small - so I bought one of the pre made boards. Most of the parts are in house, just waiting on a Hall effect sensor and a trigger wheel. This thing is going to (crosses fingers) run like a pissed off grizzly. At the end of the day it'll have 8 LS coils with wasted spark, crankshaft position sensor, 85 lb/hr injectors, flex fuel sensor, and an electric fan. The stoke is high.

Only a engineer would spend that much time and money on a 80's 350 to make less power then a stock $250 5.3 :lol:

What 85lb/hr injectors? Decapped 03-07 Flex injectors?

Only a engineer would spend that much time and money on a 80's 350 to make less power then a stock $250 5.3 :lol:

What 85lb/hr injectors? Decapped 03-07 Flex injectors?
:lol: That is true! Good thing I'm just a brewer!

I did (and still do) want to swap in an LS, but the warden is still a little pissed at the last engine swap. But, the good news is that the engine that is in there was made in 1998 and is a 350 HO (350HO Turn Key Small Block Crate Engine: 19355662 | Performance - https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines/small-block-engine/350-ho) and should be able to make good power with the right tuning (which you really can't do easily with the old TBI computer).

As for injectors, Holley had 65lb/hr @ 13psi injectors on their TBI setups a few years back - if you turn them up to 20 psi you'll get around 85 out of them. And still on the fence with the flex fuel sensor, could be an install down the road.

flex fuel sensors can easily be found under a TON of GM cars and trucks at the junkyard from 03-2012ish. I usually get them for free for my budget turbo cars since the pick-n-pull yard doesn't know what they are.

Or, GM Part # 13507129 if you don't want to crawl underneath a junk car. Plumb into your feed or return, doesn't matter
Sensor (Replaces Part Number 13577429) 13507129 | GMPartsDirect.com - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-sensor-replaces-part-number-13577429-13507129

connector
Amazon product ASIN B07115TSNK

flex fuel sensors can easily be found under a TON of GM cars and trucks at the junkyard from 03-2012ish. I usually get them for free for my budget turbo cars since the pick-n-pull yard doesn't know what they are.

Or, GM Part # 13507129 if you don't want to crawl underneath a junk car. Plumb into your feed or return, doesn't matter
Sensor (Replaces Part Number 13577429) 13507129 | GMPartsDirect.com - https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-sensor-replaces-part-number-13577429-13507129

connector
Amazon product ASIN B07115TSNK
Well hell, if it's that easy...

Thanks! Also, what are your thoughts on that engine (link above)? Just out of curiosity.

Well hell, if it's that easy...

Thanks! Also, what are your thoughts on that engine (link above)? Just out of curiosity.

I guess I just don't see the appeal of distributors, stamped steel oil pans, iron cylinder heads, cork valve cover gaskets, an intake manifold that has coolant flowing through it that you need an entire tube of RTV to seal
Have you ever worked on a LS? You can literally throw the intake manifold onto it from the other side of the room and it will seal

I guess I just don't see the appeal of distributors, stamped steel oil pans, iron cylinder heads, cork valve cover gaskets, an intake manifold that has coolant flowing through it that you need an entire tube of RTV to seal
Have you ever worked on a LS? You can literally throw the intake manifold onto it from the other side of the room and it will seal
I get it. And really don't like any of those things either. I have worked on an LS and they are wonderful. I keep hinting at the idea, but progress is slow trying to convince for another engine swap. So, realistically going for as close to an LS as possible without being an LS.

That just seems like a lot more work then 6 bellhousing bolts and $30 Amazon adapter plates

That just seems like a lot more work then 6 bellhousing bolts and $30 Amazon adapter plates
Eh. I like the tinkering. Keeps my mathematician brain happy.

Will have more of an update next week after I start wiring everything together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom