Ebrake doesn't work. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am I the only person who's ebrake doesn't work I have looked for solutions but so far have found none. Who sells parts and is there a guide some where so I can fix these rusty out brakes!

If you have pulled on the ebrake lever, be sure to crawl underneath and check that the bellcranks didn't get stuck pulling the brake shoes- if the small rubber stopper is pulled away from the stop, you'll need to (tap) them back in place to keep from burning the ebrake shoes.

Thank you both I have hit mine with a hammer more than once. I have been searching for this for days and couldn't find anything like this, thank you again.

What are your symptoms other than simply ebrake does not work? That's pretty vague. Does the handle in the cab lift up without any resistance? Are either bell cranks moving? Does one wheel spin while the other stays locked?

I've replaced every single piece of my ebrake assembly due to rust. In my case both bell cranks were frozen solid and the cable from the handle to the rear axle was frozen in place along with the adjuster nut on the rear axle cable.

If you can narrow down what's 'not working' you can start focusing on how to fix that area. hopefully you just have 1 component of the entire system that is not functioning properly.

Resurrecting an old thread. My parking brake handle will not pull up, I have a feeling the previous owner just never used it. I've crawled under to look, and can pull the cable to each hub individually so those parts seem to be working. I sprayed the area/assembly where it T's off with some penetrating oil hoping it would come loose but no luck so far. It seems to be the cable itself or the T assembly (for lack of a better word).

The car was a southern car its entire life and there is no visible rust.

Resurrecting an old thread. My parking brake handle will not pull up, I have a feeling the previous owner just never used it. I've crawled under to look, and can pull the cable to each hub individually so those parts seem to be working. I sprayed the area/assembly where it T's off with some penetrating oil hoping it would come loose but no luck so far. It seems to be the cable itself or the T assembly (for lack of a better word).

The car was a southern car its entire life and there is no visible rust.
I replaced my Cable last week for this problem. It was only about $70 from Toyota. Mine was rust free as well.

I replaced my Cable last week for this problem. It was only about $70 from Toyota. Mine was rust free as well.

I'm having same issue. Florida car so no rust and the parts of the cable I can see look good. How long did it take you to switch it out?

It should take about 1hr to replace the ebrake cable from the cab to the rear axle. You will then also need another half hour to do the full adjustment procedure.

Most of your time will involve removing the center console. There is also one cable mounting bracket that is located above the gas tank and will require a bit of dexterity as you have to do it by feel. You will get a pretty good understanding of the procedure required once you have the new cable assembly in your hand and spend a few minutes under the truck looking at the old one.

It should take about 1hr to replace the ebrake cable from the cab to the rear axle. You will then also need another half hour to do the full adjustment procedure.

Most of your time will involve removing the center console. There is also one cable mounting bracket that is located above the gas tank and will require a bit of dexterity as you have to do it by feel. You will get a pretty good understanding of the procedure required once you have the new cable assembly in your hand and spend a few minutes under the truck looking at the old one.
Yep, just under 2 hours cleaning filth from the previous owner under the center console.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order a cable. Just to be positive I'm getting the correct part, its 46410 in the diagram attached? Also described as "CABLE ASSY, PARKING BRAKE, NO.1 "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom