easiest diesel swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm still toying with the idea of dropping a diesel in my 72 FJ40. I prefer to stick with Toyota.

I've been reading up on these diesel conversions and was wondering which diesel is the easiest to locate in the US and who might be the best to purchase it from? I'm already expecting this to be around a 10K project. Just trying to decide if a 1FZ might be easier since I can find a used 80 for around 10K and might luck out with the factory locked 80 axles too which would be a big plus in my eyes. I'd just need to work out a manual behind the 1FZ.

The plan is for something that can turn 38" rubber with some highway drivability. Also leaning towards SVO/bio for sure if I go diesel.

Well, the toyota engines of choice are the..........

3B fairly cheap with H55 and split case, would need a turbo to turn 38s.

13BT getting pricey, but a awsome engine.

1HZ around the same price as the 13BT and does perform exellent also.

1HD-T with modifications to mate to a H55 "there goes the budget".

Do a search there are some conversions on this site.

Rob

If you like the diesel engie no matter what hard to find it you will be happy. So to run 38" in a 40 series I thought I can do my special combo.

1. 5 speed tranny.
2. Turbo engine ( you choose, you budget * )
3. 4.88 grearing or marks underdrive ( all depends what ydo you want )

In the engine point you can select from cheap to expensive ..

13B-T, 12H-T as bold with H55F 5 speed tranny.

1HZ aftermaket turbo you can use with H55F ( no direct bold on )

And the most expensive ( I thought ) but really good engine 1HD-T

My vote is 3B for simplicty, but 13bt or 12 HT, would be a heck of alot nicer

"easiest" might be 2H or 12HT, you could keep your current tranny, the intake/ exhaust arrangement will be similar to the 2F and the engine mounts might even line up :D

Depends on your budget.

I have owned a BJ60 with a 3B (non turbo) and H55 5 speed
It was turning 31's with 4.11. Okay for power, but it needed a turbo for big hills.
With a turbo they have lots of power. It's a really solid combo. I have never driven a turbo 3B/H55 but I have been a passenger in one (in a BJ60) thats loaded with stuff and 7 people, and it still pulled good.

Driven my girlfriends FJ55 with turbo'ed 3B and H41 trany turning 235's. It has a okay power - but it needs tuning (so it will get much better). I would like to see this truck get a H55. If I find one cheap you can bet I will buy it.

13BT I think is based off the 3B, but has direct injection. It would be a good choice, especially with a H55. But your starting to get more expensive.

Now I own a HDJ81 with a 1HD-T and auto, turing 285's with 4.11s.
It is by far the most powerful, and I have not even tuned it up yet. This engine is awesome for power, awesome cold weather starting (no black smoke) quite and good on fuel. It's a great engine. I would pick this if you could afford it.

12HT are nice, but are getting rare. Good engine from what I hear but I can't comment because I have never owned or driven. They are based off the 2H but much imporved over the 2H.

Don't get the 2H. It will need a turbo and they just wern't built for one. IMHO they are the worsy diesel Toyota has ever put into production.

1HZ are good from what I hear (never driven one). Have good power (when turbo'ed) and should be easy to get parts for. This too would be a good choice. But for the price of the engine you might want to get the 1HD-T for a little more.

So my choices would be:
If your on a budget get the 3B and H55, and then turbo charge it (turbo is a must!).
If your not on a budget get a 1HD-T and your choice of trany.

You would also need to regear with any of these engines.
4.88's would probably be good. But you might even want to go lower (5.x?)

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Sorry, I just saw your budget of 10K.

I would get the 1HD-T without a doubt.
It's awesome. You won't hear anyone down talk these bad boys.
Just make sure to do the Big end bearings.
Toyota shipped them with crappy ones so they need to be changed out.
Not a big deal. Especially if you have the engine out anyways.

Or, you could look at getting the 3B (or 13BT) and H55 then use the extra money for lockers / coil conversion / and other toys. I guess it depends on just how built the truck is already.

Either way, your going to have one mean truck.

Have fun.
Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback from everyone so far.

I'm leaning towards a 1HD right now. But still not sure.

What I'm wondering is if there's a chance I can match up a 1HD with a 4speed out of a 83-85 FJ60 somehow? I swapped the original axles with the FJ60 axles years ago but was still using the original 3 speed with them. This time I was going to use the 4 speed out of the 60 I got the axles from.

What's the difference between running a 4 or 5 speed with a diesel?

Off hand I'm not expecting the 4 speed to match up with a 1HD, but I don't know. I would assume it will work with a 3B or possibly a 13B.

If a 3B basically drops right in I may go that route and run a turbo and 5:29's.

Still have not made a decision yet.

I'll be searching more.

denis said:
"easiest" might be 2H or 12HT, you could keep your current tranny, the intake/ exhaust arrangement will be similar to the 2F and the engine mounts might even line up :D

The man asked easiest...

And got his answer here...

gb

LukeO said:
What I'm wondering is if there's a chance I can match up a 1HD with a 4speed out of a 83-85 FJ60 somehow? I swapped the original axles with the FJ60 axles years ago but was still using the original 3 speed with them. This time I was going to use the 4 speed out of the 60 I got the axles from.

What's the difference between running a 4 or 5 speed with a diesel?

Off hand I'm not expecting the 4 speed to match up with a 1HD, but I don't know. I would assume it will work with a 3B or possibly a 13B.

If a 3B basically drops right in I may go that route and run a turbo and 5:29's

I'll be searching more.

Your tranny from the 60 will not match up to any diesel engine, except the 2H and 12HT...unless you source and change out the input shaft. "B" series input shaft for the B engines, and a HZ H55F input shaft if you are going to go HZ or HD-T. Then you need to source the correct bellhousing, etc. You're best bet if you are going to do this swap imo is to source the tranny with the diesel engine. You will then typically get the 5th gear, for freeway use.

hth's

gb

If you want an easy swap and good power go for an old school 12H-T. You'll have incredible off-idle torque and a good bit of power. It doesn't like to rev high but since you're contemplating some big tires it would be the ticket. 1HD-T is a good engine too but you lose the beasty 12H-T grunt roar when you push the throttle. :grinpimp:

I believe and love the 12H-T block and base concept .. gears no chain or timing belt are clear signals of tough. In a 40 big goal .. off course the 1HD-T engine makes a lots of power .. really a lots .. but more complex to math to any other tranny.

Thanks,

I'll search more on the 12H-T. I prefer gears and no chains too.

If you're only considering Toyota, the 13BT has been really great. Very expensive and kind of a PITA swap into a 40. I'd like to try a Cummins 3.9
4BDT into a 40. Supposed to have awesome power, longevity, and EASY to parts, alos less expensive. But, I still am loving the 13BT, very powerful and torque-ridden.

First of, imho there are no easy engine swaps, because you will always encounter difficulties.
But a reasonable easy swap in an FJ 40 is a 2H or 12H-t. The engine mounts line up and is basicly a bolt in swap. Depending on the tranny.
The only thing i disliked on the 12H-t is the position of the PS pump. The front axle tends to hit it while wheeling.
I'm in the process of reposition it.
Check out some pictures here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=49099&highlight=12ht

Don't look at the rest of the Cruiser, it still looks like crap.

HTH
Mark

I'm thinking of getting an 93 - 97 80 series. Does anybody know how much it would cost to convert it to Diesel, preferably with the 1HD-T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom