Early Locker of some sort? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello.

So I was given a set of 71 axles. Pulled apart the rear last night and found this odd ball. Anyone recognize this?

Old Gov lock..

Not a horrible locker but not my first choice.

They were designed for a chevy rear axle and retrofitted for a Toyota axle..

link to a pic
gov-nr-lok-posi-trac.jpg

I have run across a couple of those tearing old axles apart... I sold one of them to a local wheeler 3 or 4 years ago, he has been running it in his DD FJ40 ever since, I have never heard him complain about it. Probably the pimp swap to do in the 70's-80's :D

Can't complain. Free junk for my junk.

Is there a way to pull the inner axles without shooting springs and pins all over my workspace? I'm looking through the intraweb for info....not a lot out here...

I had one in the corprate 10 bolt in my '88 Suburban and the carrier split in several pieces just backing out of my drive way. Not exactly hard wheeling. I can't recommend them.

Were these available for coarse spline axles? Kind of hard to find fine spline axles for a centered pumkin. I know Lock-Right's are made for the coarse spline axles and that back in the day Torsen's were made for the coarse spline axles. Just wondering if there is anything else out there.

John

The main problem with a Gov lock is that they use a TON of moving parts to work. And, those moving parts are not all that big making them kinda weak.

They do lock up better than a limited slip (most of the time)

:D

Before I discovered this locker my plan was to stick a new Lock Right I have on the shelf in this third, swap the flanges for four speed ones and replace the 3.7's with ARBs in my pig. This 72 pig is for sale and I'd like to use it's f/r ARBs in my new 76 FJ55. Clear as mud?

The idea is to lower the price of the 72 without loosing my a$$.

In your opinion is the Lock Right a better locker? Leave the Gov Lock in the rear and give the new owner a new Lock Right. He/She could then install it in the front or use it in the rear down the road?

This is the rig in question>

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57455

appreciate all your thoughts.

So I searched Pirate [flipoff] and the consensus is it is not great for a wheeler and/or a rig with tires over 30".

Guess I'll find another 4.11 for the Lock Right.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom