Early Latch Differences (Side by Side) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Going through my box of early latches and noticed some interesting differences in this side by side comparison. Early model 40's and 45's used these for windshield latches as well as some 45 series tailgate latches. My 66 FST has the same latches on the windshield as 1 & 2 in the pics. I am thinking 3 is for the 45 tailgate. I hope this is useful to someone out there.

Inked1606494765536_LI.jpg

Inked1606494765834_LI.jpg

1 & 2 are semi-closed on the end where 3 is completely open and shorter

Inked1606494766103_LI.jpg

This picture is the most interesting because 1 and 2 are identical with the exception of how the "hook" is attached. 1 show it goes into the handle whereas 2 shows it with the same mounting style as 3.

Inked1606494767164_LI.jpg

Clearly 3 is shorter overall.

Inked1606494766674_LI.jpg

Looked at my 9/64 65 FJ45LP-B. The windshield latches is like #2. The tailgate latches is like #3 except the handle is wider. Doesn't taper down torwards a point on the end. I have no clue where but like a lot cruiser junkies have a couple set of windshield latches. One for the style with the vent in the windshield and a set for the later style after the vent moved to the cowl.

Looked at my 9/64 65 FJ45LP-B. The windshield latches is like #2. The tailgate latches is like #3 except the handle is wider. Doesn't taper down torwards a point on the end. I have no clue where but like a lot cruiser junkies have a couple set of windshield latches. One for the style with the vent in the windshield and a set for the later style after the vent moved to the cowl.
Can you add a picture here of your tailgate latches? #3 still seems to be a mystery🤔

wonder if #3 is for the 66-67 windshield frame as it has the different catch???

Last edited:
wonder if #3 is for the 66-67 windshield frame as it has the different catch???
My 66 FST has the same latches as 1 & 2 with the 3 hole latch plate on the windshield frame.

This is great information - thanks to all. I can tell that my latches are for the windshield on FJ40s and 45s probably up to and including 1966. I have not seen any others that are chrome but I guess Toyota offered them in chrome at some point. Thanks again for the help. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom