Dynamat floor labor time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
I want to put sound proofing on the floor of my 80 and wash the carpeting while it's out. Anyone know about how long it will all take? Seats out, carpet out, dynamat, carpet in, seats in? Also anything I should look for or do while I'm in there? Should I remove the factory jute insulation stuff? TIA.

Hi all
I want to put sound proofing on the floor of my 80 and wash the carpeting while it's out. Anyone know about how long it will all take? Seats out, carpet out, dynamat, carpet in, seats in? Also anything I should look for or do while I'm in there? Should I remove the factory jute insulation stuff? TIA.
I think it varies depending on unseen issues, like rust. Get some POR for rust, a few scrapers, some goo removal, beer

I sound deadened about 90% of my interior. Probably over 200 pounds. WIth a layer of closed cell foam and mlv. If I were to do it over, I would just add some dampening to the center of big panels (about 1 ft or bigger) and the closed cell foam. There's dimishing returns on completely covering everything with dampening.

It will probably take you a day to remove all and lay down a layer sparsely.

A couple of things on cleaning the carpet. Don’t use to much water have. From experience I have used a hose and soap. And a extractor. The old backing on mine leaches a burgundy color. Witch you can chase around forever. If you can rent a extractor use a very low setting water wise. Multiple passes are best.

Unless you are going to pressure wash the carpet, don't bother cleaning it.

Are you removing the old sound deadener? If so get some dry ice. It makes for a much easier job to get it all out. It took me about a week to do mine but that was working on it a couple of hours a day and one weekend. I pulled everything out down to the metal floor, put down new sound deadener, closed cell insulation and vinyl floor. If I was to do it again I would double up the sound deadener at transmission tunnel, firewall, and foot well or use a thicker deadener there.

I took out everything, cleaned and put everything back in a about a day or more precisely 2 half days because the carpet takes some time to dry. The actual removal and installation of carpet is very simple and pretty quick once you figured it out. Also use power tool for the bolts.

I highly recommend looking into heat and sound insulating pads and not dynomat. Dynomat and similar products are call sound deadened, not insolation or sound proofing. Also the 80’s floor gets pretty warm around trans tunnel and passenger floor and that could just make a nasty mess with dynomat.

If anything you could dynomat then on top that a layer of insolation. I’m too lazy so I just did insolation with built in aluminum layer for radiation heat rejection, it works really well and carpet and center console feel cool to touch even in 100 plus degree weather. Also a lot less road noise from the floor but majority of the road noise is from the doors anyways which I still haven’t gotten around to do.

Edit: for floor I would use weaved type of material not foam because with weight and people stepping on it, the foam probably won’t last very long.

Last edited:

Unless you are going to pressure wash the carpet, don't bother cleaning it.

This!!!! Without pressure washing the carpet you aren’t going to get much dirt out of the carpet. I spent 2 plus hours power washing, soap and scrub and then repeat the process multiple times before the Runoff water doesn’t look nasty. Carpet cleaner, launders detergent and dish washing soap, try them all.

Last year I did the complete interior to the last inch. Both Dynamat and Dynaliner. The difference in both noise and temp is significant. A much pleasurable Cruiser to drive indeed. For the carpet, first I hosed down and then used a steam vaccum cleaner-took one day to dry under the sun but looked like new.
Since I also did some other stuff with an empty interior, but my best guesstimate would be 3 to 4 days...at leasure speed. Here's few pics
Good luck!
Cheers!

DOOR1.JPG

DOOR3.JPG

INT5.JPG

INT6.JPG

@Qball which insulation did you use?

Thermozite, pretty inexpensive and really tough, no adhesive or anything fancy but does the job quite well. So tough it's hard to cut, you will need a pair of really sharp scissors. Another alternative would be high-end 1/2 inch carpet mat but those don't have aluminum backing but still quite effective but I personally prefer Thermozite because it's tough and I won't have to touch it again. BTW I laid it down aluminum side up.

Eventually, I'm going to order some of the thin foam mats with aluminum backing with adhesive for the doors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom