Duracool-12A (TM), Envirosafe (TM), RedTek (TM), FrostyCool (TM) AKA Hydrocarbon AC Refrigerants (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Specifically, were you repeatedly turning the car/compressor on and off as you were building up the charge to check if the compressor would come on? Or is there a simpler way to know when the pressure switch has engaged?
Test light on the switch?

Specifically, were you repeatedly turning the car/compressor on and off as you were building up the charge to check if the compressor would come on? Or is there a simpler way to know when the pressure switch has engaged?
I brought the low side up to about 33 PSI, then let the pressure equalize in the system, brought it up again to 33 PSI, and repeat again until it stayed at about 33. Then once I fired up the truck and the A/C I slowly brought it up to 35 PSI on the low side with the A/C compressor running.

I can't remember what exact numbers I was watching for on the high side, but I went off what was recommended in the FSM and kept an eye out for sudden increases as I went.

I brought the low side up to about 33 PSI, then let the pressure equalize in the system, brought it up again to 33 PSI, and repeat again until it stayed at about 33. Then once I fired up the truck and the A/C I slowly brought it up to 35 PSI on the low side with the A/C compressor running.

I can't remember what exact numbers I was watching for on the high side, but I went off what was recommended in the FSM and kept an eye out for sudden increases as I went.
Sounds good, thanks!

It really shouldn't, since they're very similar in composition and operation. When I first read your post I got the impression that you intended to charge as liquid through the low pressure side with the system running, and that is most definitely bad juju. Like @mrlocksmith just posted, a small amount (and letting it equalize) before operating the system to let the pressure switch engage is okay. When I did mine I let a gas charge slowly build up in the system through the low pressure side until there was enough pressure to allow the pressure switch to engage.
I spoke with both Duracool and Enviro-Safe today. They both said that their 12A must be installed as a liquid, BUT this is only important when dealing with partial cans, here's why:
(Both Duracool and ES gave identical rationale for this.)
Both products are blends (and they're probably almost identical to each other). When charged in liquid form, the blend is mixed, so the intended proportions of the blend is getting installed. When installed in gaseous form however, the blend fractionates coming out of the can. That is because the different components of the blend will come off before others due to different vaporization points. This is not an issue if you charge a full can as a gas, but partial can gaseous charges will not contain the correct proportion of the blend. (Enviro-Safe says that their cylinders have "dipsticks" that pull liquid from the bottom of the cylinder. They are adamant about maintaining the correct blended mixture for proper cooling, head pressures, etc).
In regard to charging the low-side with liquid, they both say it's never been a problem. Why not? Because (they say) 12A is 2/3 lighter than 134A (you can feel that their cans are very light) and will not harm, lock up, or corrode the compressor. They both said that you can't charge 134A as a liquid because it's so heavy in comparison to 12A that it's like a "sludge", in their words, and will harm the compressor.

I spoke with both Duracool and Enviro-Safe today. They both said that their 12A must be installed as a liquid, BUT this is only important when dealing with partial cans, here's why:
(Both Duracool and ES gave identical rationale for this.)
Both products are blends (and they're probably almost identical to each other). When charged in liquid form, the blend is mixed, so the intended proportions of the blend is getting installed. When installed in gaseous form however, the blend fractionates coming out of the can. That is because the different components of the blend will come off before others due to different vaporization points. This is not an issue if you charge a full can as a gas, but partial can gaseous charges will not contain the correct proportion of the blend. (Enviro-Safe says that their cylinders have "dipsticks" that pull liquid from the bottom of the cylinder. They are adamant about maintaining the correct blended mixture for proper cooling, head pressures, etc).
In regard to charging the low-side with liquid, they both say it's never been a problem. Why not? Because (they say) 12A is 2/3 lighter than 134A (you can feel that their cans are very light) and will not harm, lock up, or corrode the compressor. They both said that you can't charge 134A as a liquid because it's so heavy in comparison to 12A that it's like a "sludge", in their words, and will harm the compressor.
That's the first I've heard of the freon being any kind of blend, unless they're referring to the cans containing oil mixed with the freon (I have a few cans of DC 12A that are, plus a 30# cylinder that's strictly freon with no oil). If the oil mix is what they mean, then yes I would definitely follow their advice in charging from the cans in liquid form so that the oil enters the system too. I still would be leery of charging any liquid through the low pressure side, especially when we KNOW that other charging methods are safe. Why take the risk (even if low) when there's a guaranteed safe method?

When I charged mine using the cylinder, I manually added oil into the compressor suction side. Then when I pulled a vacuum on the system, I did so very slowly so as to avoid pulling oil back out.

That's the first I've heard of the freon being any kind of blend, unless they're referring to the cans containing oil mixed with the freon (I have a few cans of DC 12A that are, plus a 30# cylinder that's strictly freon with no oil). If the oil mix is what they mean, then yes I would definitely follow their advice in charging from the cans in liquid form so that the oil enters the system too. I still would be leery of charging any liquid through the low pressure side, especially when we KNOW that other charging methods are safe. Why take the risk (even if low) when there's a guaranteed safe method?

When I charged mine using the cylinder, I manually added oil into the compressor suction side. Then when I pulled a vacuum on the system, I did so very slowly so as to avoid pulling oil back out.
Both products are blends of gases, according to them, and this does not refer to oil additives, stop leak, etc. Their SDS statements do not specify and only indicate that the product contains "petroleum gases". Proprietary stuff.

There is a product called hychill in australia that is a blend of propane and isobutane. [r290 and r600a] 70%/30% from memory.
Your memory is still good.

Both products are blends of gases, according to them, and this does not refer to oil additives, stop leak, etc. Their SDS statements do not specify and only indicate that the product contains "petroleum gases". Proprietary stuff.
Interesting. Well given that, if you're servicing from cans I would follow their recommendation. I would say though that if you're going to deviate, be sure to err on the side of caution.

Interesting. Well given that, if you're servicing from cans I would follow their recommendation. I would say though that if you're going to deviate, be sure to err on the side of caution.
I would use up a full can as a liquid for a minimal charge PLUS the remainder of the can as gas once the compressor is running. Then the question for me is whether to take a chance and charge as a liquid with a running compressor just to add a "blended" partial can. Duracool & ES say no problem, However, imo it depends on whether or not the liquid has flashed to vapor by the time it gets to the compressor. It needs to have flashed by then, and this will depend upon how close the low port is to the compressor, the length of the manifold hoses, ambient temp, and how the manifold valve is operated. Risky, and is it worth it to get a perfect "blend" if you're only adding a small additional amount out of a second can.

Seems to be a little confusion here and there. Remember...Duracool and Envirosafe are hydrocarbon blends and not freons (fluorinated hydrocarbons). Please forgive my redundancy.

Seems to be a little confusion here and there. Remember...Duracool and Envirosafe are hydrocarbon blends and not freons (fluorinated hydrocarbons). Please forgive my redundancy.
Yes you're right. Still just a force of habit to say "freon".

@osseous never seen one of those before. Got my curiosity piqued.

Wow, I just check the other day.. this thread has 30,000 + Views !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom