Dual swing out tire carrier bumper FJ40 $750 shipped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have another Dual swing out bumper I recently built, I drove 300 miles with the three jerry cans loaded with fuel and it didn't rattle, has a center bolt for the two swing outs as a hold down, the tire I have mounted on it is a 35x12.5r15 and the tire mounting plate is a beefy 1/2" thick all the tubing throughout is 3/16" thick steel and is solid. It also has a license plate mount with mount for a license plate light. Will have more pictures on friday.

Thanks,
-Sean
Edit:
I have changed a few things from the original design, first I am now using 1/4" thick tubing on the main bumper tube, second I am using primarily toggle clamps for a latch, and third I have switched to a nicer smaller spring pin for the swing away lock, as well I supply a license plate holder with built in light for every bumper.

I can no longer do the $750 shipped so now the price is 750 plus shipping usually around 150 to most places in the lower 48, also I am willing to do small changes for a custom approach at no extra charge, so you can choose to have your preference of latch type, jerry can carrier, or cooler carrier, hi-lift mount etc. pretty much whatever within reason to the same context of the design.
Thanks,
-Sean

Last edited:
Will it clear a stock drop down tailgate with both sides open? (both the fixed part of the bumper and the swing outs -see question below too)

Re: the swing outs:
What stops them/holds them in the open position (if anything)? (so they wouldn't want to swing open/closed on their own)

Thanks,
Mark

Will it clear a stock drop down tailgate with both sides open? (both the fixed part of the bumper and the swing outs -see question below too)

Re: the swing outs:
What stops them/holds them in the open position (if anything)? (so they wouldn't want to swing open/closed on their own)

Thanks,
Mark

They have a rod coming up that keeps them from over traveling and damaging the quarter panels, I will add a couple pins to lock them in a 90* in a couple days when I have work off.
As for the clearing a stock fold down tailgate, I don't know as I don't have one to measure off, if you could measure how much it sticks down from the bottom of the bed I will check and let you know.
Thanks,
-Sean

I think it willclear, but on the safe side i will open the swing outs tomorrow and take a picture of the clearance with a tape measure.
Sean

Interesting build.

Does the receiver go back through the stock rear bumper/x member? Is it attached to just your bumper or is it also bolted to the stock piece? Is there a hole cut in the stock piece (how does a standard slide-in hitch fit?)

I measured and the bumper is 7/8 inch lower than the bed, but my rear stop sticks up a ways, if this is something you need in a bumper i can make one this weekend to fit. The receiver is welded to my bumper and accepts standard hitches no problem.
Sean

Nice work! Do you have a picture of it closed and secured with the bolt? How much hassel is it to line up, open , close and secure???

I will get better pictures tomorrow, not using my phone.
Sean

Awesome!

I got the drivers/tire carrier side spring pin welded in today, here are the pictures.

-Sean

Sale pending, i will update this thread when i have another bumper available in a couple weeks.
Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom