Drum brakes on Tacoma?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry, I know this is off topic from this forum, but I was just reading the article on the front page about the 2016 Tacoma, and it says that it comes with rear drum brakes? That seems insane to me that Toyota would ever put something so old tech on a brand new truck. I understand cost cutting, but if I were in the market for a truck, this would be a deal breaker for me. What am I missing...your thoughts?
http://www.ih8mud.com/product-review/toyota-tacoma/2016-toyota-tacoma/#more-1015

Had an 09 taco double cab with drum brakes in rear. Never once noticed any lack of stopping power. The back end of those things are insanely light as well, bed sides and floor are made of plastic, drums are more than capable.

Sent from my extremely unreliable mobile device using IH8MUD Forum

Still, it's the principle of the thing. I get it if you were buying a stripped down base fleet model or something but it's a 2016 Tacoma not a golf cart.

By the way, my Club Car reportedly has walnut shell brakes and I wouldn't want them on my rig...

I read somewhere that rear drum brakes are better when for the E-brake??? Not sure why that would be, but I did read that at some point in my life?!?!:)

I read somewhere that rear drum brakes are better when for the E-brake??? Not sure why that would be, but I did read that at some point in my life?!?!:)
Mostly ease of build/simplicity.

Disc-brake e-brakes are often a smaller drum inside the disc (this is how it works on the 200-series.) Other disc brakes actually actuate the brake shoes either electronically or hydraulically to hold on the disc.

roger that, now that I think of it when I went to rebuild the E-Brake on my old fj55 it was just one drum brake right on rear drive shaft, if memorey serves me right... thougth that was interesting.. and yeah I have noticed that the e-brake on most rear disc is a seperate drum brake, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom