Drove my new GX470 home yesterday and kept it 70 - 75 mpg. What's your average highway speeds? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When i visit my parents in Socal i go up and down the grapevine... In my GX (285s/Metal Bumper + Winch/ Armor/lift) it struggles when im in D however if i get out of overdrive its fine... My average going from Bay area to Socal is about 17 mpg cruising at 70mph GPS (65mph dash).. above that the wind gets pretty harsh on the MPG.

Check your tire pressure, clean your MAF if you havent yet... maybe check the plugs if they are still in good condition.

I did initially think it could be the plugs, but I saw that they were replaced 20k miles ago. However, that was back in 2014. I never heard of spark plugs having an "expiration date".

I'll also look at the MAF.

MAF throws a CEL code if it’s bad or dirty.

Engine Misfires also throw codes.

I did a quick google search and found this interesting link listing possible causes

I have 35s and regeared to 4.56. I stick to 65 mph or slower most of the time. I get 16+ mpg on my long trips (GPS corrected, not from the car computer). I have never had any trouble passing and it pulls fine at 80 on the rare occasions that I do go that fast. Compared to the Tesla the GX is a slow poke but it's adequate for pretty much all situation.

65? So patient!!!

Sounds like the OP needs to spend some seat time in an FJ80, 60, 40, or even 100 series to appreciate what power and sportiness the GX470 has. It's no race car, but it is fantastic compared to almost all of the other Toyota 4x4's (not counting the 5.7l). I certainly don't miss the days pulling mountain passes in 4-low with my 80 and an offroad trailer!

Have you found any good off-roading podcasts? Everything I have found is a snooze fest

This is veering off-topic, so not will say too much here. I have not found good off-roading podcasts. I think off-roading is something that is better done and experienced in-person. There will always be something missing and unsatisfying if you listen to somebody talk about off-roading.

Last edited:
I’ve been watching YouTube videos at home from the TFL channel. They recently took a 2004 VW Touareg and a 2018 Tesla Model X off-roading in Colorado to Rocky Top Trail.

Touareg is a beast offroad and it came with 4Lo, rear and center locks, and an awesome traction control. They went up that trail on the Touareg without using 4Lo nor lockers. Just traction control. Very impressive.

Tesla made it up and down the same trail, but they had to be very careful due to low clearance and stock low profile tires.

I drive mine at 85 pretty regularly (80mph speed limits). Did great with stock highway tires, now have 32" mud terrain and it still does fine but is a little less well.

Guys,
I know CA gas is expensive but 87 octane when 91 is specified? Even tried BPs 93 octane and there was a noticeable improvement in acceleration and overall response at hwy speeds. Low octane forces the CPU to readjust to prevent engine “knock” and potential damage. The higher octane fuel isnt just for Porsche’s, Vettes etc. It may take several tankfuls to reset the CPU to run better on 91+. Saving a few dollars per fill up isn’t worth the risk when talking about preserving longevity.

Last edited:
My 2003 Lexus GX470 calls for regular gas per owners manual.

Moreover, I bought a 2004 Acura MDX from a friend who bought new. It calls for premium and he used regular. It has 230k miles and engine runs smooth. My daughter still uses regular.

It’s more important to change the engine oil regularly than worry about regular vs premium gas.

And soon with electric vehicles, we won’t have to worry about gasoline!

My 2003 Lexus GX470 calls for regular gas per owners manual.

Moreover, I bought a 2004 Acura MDX from a friend who bought new. It calls for premium and he used regular. It has 230k miles and engine runs smooth. My daughter still uses regular.

It’s more important to change the engine oil regularly than worry about regular vs premium gas.

And soon with electric vehicles, we won’t have to worry about gasoline!
With the increase in HP on later models w. VVT the cylinder compression was increased to 10:1 ! My Lexus certified (now independent) mechanic discourages anything less than 91 octane that my 2009 manual specifies. He has seen results on the 4.7L engines. Knocking puts the complex valve train at risk not just cylinders & pistons.

There’s two tundras with the same 4.7 V8 engine as the gx470 that got over 1M miles and they used regular gas.

You said there was no knocking on your engine when you put 87.

And what evidence did you mechanic see? I haven’t read any post saying your engine deteriorates faster with 87 when the manual says 91. It’s usually the cleaning agents added to the gas that helps the engine cylinders and fuel injectors stay clean...not the octane.

This battle of 87 vs 91 has been there for a long time.

It’s far more important to maintain the cooling system, engine oil, and battery/alternator than worry about 87 vs 91. Just my interpretation on everything I’ve read.

Anyways, I’m just saying that there’s two sides to the 87 vs 91. Those that say make a difference and those of us that say it doesn’t matter.

And by the way, midgrade 89 used to be the underground tank that got the leftover 87 dumped in with some 91. And gas stations sell more 87 than 91, so that midgrade was closer to 88 than 89.

So never get 89! I think it’s different now how the stations dispense 89, but that’s how it used to be.

I spoke with the Lexus advisor that handled the MPI on 7/30 prior to me taking ownership. Along with an oil change, it also had a fuel system flush and engine treatment. Since the truck had been sitting for almost two years, he mentioned it's not unusual that I'm experiencing some low mpg and loss of power. He suspects performance and mileage will improve as I continue to drive.

Question - when folks say I should downshift for increases power, is the idea going from D to 4 or 3?

And what evidence did you mechanic see? I haven’t read any post saying your engine deteriorates faster with 87 when the manual says 91. It’s usually the cleaning agents added to the gas that helps the engine cylinders and fuel injectors stay clean...not the octane.
This battle of 87 vs 91 has been there for a long time. /QUOTE]

Probably not a dimes worth of difference between 89 and 91. Owners manual cautions to avoid high alcohol content “gasohol” which raises octane but not power or efficiency. But there is with 93 and it depends on the makers recommendation.
Finally under extreme road conditions, high speed, towing loads...

Last edited:
Don’t get me started on how at Costco in Colorado you only have the choice between 91 & 85!!! So I end up putting 91 in my ‘04 since the Costco 91 is cheaper than 87 elsewhere. They claim the altitude allows for use of 85 but to me that’s too low.....and to stay on subject, I simply follow the speed limit signs....boring I know

There’s two tundras with the same 4.7 V8 engine as the gx470 that got over 1M miles and they used regular gas.

You said there was no knocking on your engine when you put 87.

This battle of 87 vs 91 has been there for a long time.

It’s far more important to maintain the cooling system, engine oil, and battery/alternator than worry about 87 vs 91. Just my interpretation on everything I’ve read.

Anyways, I’m just saying that there’s two sides to the 87 vs 91. Those that say make a difference and those of us that say it doesn’t matter.

And by the way, midgrade 89 used to be the underground tank that got the leftover 87 dumped in with some 91. And gas stations sell more 87 than 91, so that midgrade was closer to 88 than 89.

So never get 89! I think it’s different now how the stations dispense 89, but that’s how it used to be.
^This

Don’t get me started on how at Costco in Colorado you only have the choice between 91 & 85!!! So I end up putting 91 in my ‘04 since the Costco 91 is cheaper than 87 elsewhere. They claim the altitude allows for use of 85 but to me that’s too low.....and to stay on subject, I simply follow the speed limit signs....boring I know

The high altitude and thinner air in Colorado means that the effective compression ratio is lower, so 85 is fine. If you car runs fine on 87 at sea level, then 85 is fine in Colorado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom