Drivetrain Fluids. US Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’d be surprised if the Lexus dealer has using anything other than the required lube per spec. Another reason I’m waiting to 60,000 miles for the transfer case is I’ve never even put this thing into 4 low and I’ve had seven of these 80,100& 200s and every time I’ve ever changed the transfer case at 30,000 60,000 the transfer case fluid looks smelled and was fine and clear. But the diffs need to be changed by 30k

I didn't mean to imply that their not using oil that meets spec, just saying that using the 75/qt oil is expensive and not a requirement. the only reason we have it in stock is for warrantee use. you could even stretch out the service interval on the t-case as it dosnt take as much of a load on the gears like the diffs do.

as a side note you should throw it in 4lo every now and then just to give the actuator a workout and keep it from seizing

Post what you find out the 60,000 mile flush be interested know how clear it looks I’m doing mine in a week or so at about 26,000 miles front, rear differential $79 each but I got a $50 off thing from the Lexus dealer so not a bad deal. I’m gonna do the transfer case at 60,000
That is an amazing price. The toyota75w-85 was $37 per quart when I had the diff fluids changed at the dealer 2 weeks ago. The lc/lx takes just under 7 quarts for the front and rear diffs. For me, with the enviro/dispo fee, gaskets, labor and tax it was about $400.

The Toyota 75w-85 is $32/qt on Amazon.

I went to the dealer because I wanted them to use the Toyota fluids and so that the service would be in their records. When the warranty expires I'll probably do it at home with AMSoil.

If the dealer used anything other than Toyota gear oil after billing me for Toyota branded oil, it would be fraud. So, maybe on oil changes they use another product but the invoice should state the brand and viscosity.

Last edited:
They used Kendal 0w40 on the oil changes. I figured that out from my Blackstone oil analysis, because of the high level of titanium in the UOA results, called the service manager and he confirmed. I'm sure they are using Lexus spec oil/lube at the best price. As long as it meets the spec's it does not have to be labeled Lexus/Toyota.

They used Kendal 0w40 on the oil changes. I figured that out from my Blackstone oil analysis, because of the high level of titanium in the UOA results, called the service manager and he confirmed. I'm sure they are using Lexus spec oil/lube at the best price. As long as it meets the spec's it does not have to be labeled Lexus/Toyota.

0W-40 oil does not meet any Lexus/Toyota spec for the LC200/LX570. Your dealer used out of spec oil.

HTH

Edit to add: In fact, the only 0w-40 Kendall oil I can find is for diesel engines: Kendall

Anything but TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0w-20 from a dealer performing the oil/filter change is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Maybe Kendall makes and packages the lubricants for Toyota, so a can of Toyota Oil is Kendall on the inside.

SWUtah, I am sure you are right about what your dealership uses for oil changes. It is a little troubling that you would have to do an oil analysis to find out that a dealer service didn't use OEM parts and fluids.

The service guy told me they were using Toyota brand fluids for the diff changes, not "an off brand meeting Toyota specs." The invoice lists Toyota Gear Oil 75w-85. If they actually used Mobile 1 but billed me for Toyota brand stuff, that would be fraud in the sense that the dealership misrepresented the origin and nanture of the goods they sold me. If the menu says "veal" but your cutlet is actually Buffalo, its fraud.

If the invoice didn't specify the brand and simply said "gear oil 75w-85" or "synthetic 0-40" and they used Walmart 75w-85 or whatever, that would be a different story. Maybe thats what happens with regaular oil changes and Mr. T authorized it. Or maybe the dealership using Kendall is cutting corners in a way that Mr. T doesn't approve of. Either way, I'll ask at my dealership what they are putting into my engine at the next oil change.

As an aside, my wife's last two cars have been Hondas. At the dealership there is a large sign which says "we use only Honda parts and fluids." Now we use a certified honda mechanic with his own shop. After an oil change, without asking for it, we get the empty Honda brand oil bottles which we of course ask him to toss.

0W-40 oil does not meet any Lexus/Toyota spec for the LC200/LX570. Your dealer used out of spec oil.

HTH

Edit to add: In fact, the only 0w-40 Kendall oil I can find is for diesel engines: Kendall

Anything but TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0w-20 from a dealer performing the oil/filter change is unacceptable.

I fat finger it they used full synthetic 0w20

Maybe Kendall makes and packages the lubricants for Toyota, so a can of Toyota Oil is Kendall on the inside.

SWUtah, I am sure you are right about what your dealership uses for oil changes. It is a little troubling that you would have to do an oil analysis to find out that a dealer service didn't use OEM parts and fluids.

The service guy told me they were using Toyota brand fluids for the diff changes, not "an off brand meeting Toyota specs." The invoice lists Toyota Gear Oil 75w-85. If they actually used Mobile 1 but billed me for Toyota brand stuff, that would be fraud in the sense that the dealership misrepresented the origin and nanture of the goods they sold me. If the menu says "veal" but your cutlet is actually Buffalo, its fraud.

If the invoice didn't specify the brand and simply said "gear oil 75w-85" or "synthetic 0-40" and they used Walmart 75w-85 or whatever, that would be a different story. Maybe thats what happens with regaular oil changes and Mr. T authorized it. Or maybe the dealership using Kendall is cutting corners in a way that Mr. T doesn't approve of. Either way, I'll ask at my dealership what they are putting into my engine at the next oil change.

As an aside, my wife's last two cars have been Hondas. At the dealership there is a large sign which says "we use only Honda parts and fluids." Now we use a certified honda mechanic with his own shop. After an oil change, without asking for it, we get the empty Honda brand oil bottles which we of course ask him to toss.

I did the used oil analysis to determine how my engine was doing and when it showed it had high titanium in it which doesn’t match anything in the engine I started researching and found that Kendall liquid titanium 0W 20 oil uses titanium as one of the lubricants it’s a good thing not a bad thing I don’t care what my dealer uses as long as it’s quality and meets Lexus specifications. Toyota doesn’t manufacture oil they bid it out and people like mobil make the oil and the lube too Toyotas specifications which are not wild and crazy off the charts specifications, generally pretty much what anybody other manufacture uses

I did the used oil analysis to determine how my engine was doing and when it showed it had high titanium in it which doesn’t match anything in the engine I started researching and found that Kendall liquid titanium 0W 20 oil uses titanium as one of the lubricants it’s a good thing not a bad thing I don’t care what my dealer uses as long as it’s quality and meets Lexus specifications. Toyota doesn’t manufacture oil they bid it out and people like mobil make the oil and the lube too Toyotas specifications which are not wild and crazy off the charts specifications, generally pretty much what anybody other manufacture uses

It is generally understood that Toyota has their TGMO manufactured by Mobil with an additive package from Japan (Idemitsu?).

TGMOLabelDetail_13DEC13_zps6d5aec22.jpg

TGMOLabel_13DEC13_zpsa1008640.jpg

TGMO is regarded as one of the better oil choices.

HTH

Last edited:
Still surprised your dealer would use Kendall products ... Here's a used oil analysis of TGMO 0w-20 oil from a LX570 - might help you track down what your dealer used:

TGMO_UOA_08JAN18_zpsfyevgg62.jpg

It is generally understood that Toyota has their TGMO manufactured by Mobil with an additive package from Japan (Idemitsu?).

TGMOLabelDetail_13DEC13_zps6d5aec22.jpg

TGMOLabel_13DEC13_zpsa1008640.jpg

TGMO is regarded as one of the better oil choices.

HTH

That's my used oil analysis that I posted on my LX570. The titanium in it lead me back to calling the dealer about what oil they were using. They use 0w20 Kendall liquid titanium synthetic. Meets all Lexus spec's and is a superior oil. I do think it's wrong that Blackstone is showing titanium in the unit measurement average since I don't think Toyota/Mobile use any titanium in their oil.

That's my used oil analysis that I posted on my LX570. The titanium in it lead me back to calling the dealer about what oil they were using. They use 0w20 Kendall liquid titanium synthetic. Meets all Lexus spec's and is a superior oil. I do think it's wrong that Blackstone is showing titanium in the unit measurement average since I don't think Toyota/Mobile use any titanium in their oil.

Well ... unfortunate - and misleading - that you identified the sample as Toyota 0w-20 oil.

Just for the record, here is a Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) of TGMO 0w-20 in a Toyota bottle, purchased from a Toyota dealer:

TGMO_VOA_08JAN18_zpskyybjcpt.jpg

And to confirm that TGMO 0w-20 is made by Exxon Mobil, here's a link to their MSDS for the product: https://physics.usc.edu/Undergraduate/temporary/toyota_0W-20_msdn_vrd_0004740940mfv_0005160165.pdf

HTH

Well ... unfortunate - and misleading - that you identified the sample as Toyota 0w-20 oil.

Just for the record, here is a Virgin Oil Analysis (VOA) of TGMO 0w-20 in a Toyota bottle, purchased from a Toyota dealer:

TGMO_VOA_08JAN18_zpskyybjcpt.jpg

And to confirm that TGMO 0w-20 is made by Exxon Mobil, here's a link to their MSDS for the product: https://physics.usc.edu/Undergraduate/temporary/toyota_0W-20_msdn_vrd_0004740940mfv_0005160165.pdf

HTH

I guess it was kind of naïve of me to assume that a Lexus dealer used 0W 20 Toyota Oil which I know is made by mobil for Toyota. I question why Blackstone didn’t catch that it had to be Kendall liquid titanium 0W 20 because of all the titanium in the oil. One of the guys on Bob is the oil guy site caught the fact that it had to be Kendall liquid titanium to have that high of titanium in the oil no other brand does. I did some research and it looks like titanium has excellent antiwear properties and is replacing molybdenum that some other oils have commonly used like mobil one.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am planning my 100k mi. fluid changes.
In the past I have had excellent results with Lubrication Engineers products in Torsen limited slip diffs and would like to use their fluid (likely LE 1605) in all 3 diffs (GL-5 compliant).
Anyone used the LE products in the LC/LX?

Plus it is purple and smells terrible, what's not to love!

I want to change out the Diff and transfer oils now that I'm approaching 60,000.
Here is the Info I found on the Global Service info center. (below)
I was going to use AMS Oil like I did in the 100 but I'm looking for the Mud's advice, stick with stock toyota fluids are try, AMSoil, Mobil 1 Redline etc!

HERE is what I have found:

Front & Rear Diff:
LT 75W-85 GL-5 (US Model I assume)
Rear Diff with LSD:
LX 75W-85 GL-5
----------------------------
The Transfer case requires:
API GL-5 SAE 75W-90
which curiously is listed below "no AMSoil product recommended" while the while the severe gear oil lists as API GL-5.
-------------------------
Transmission Fluid:
Toyota Genuine ATF WS transmission fluid

Maybe I am over thinking this and I'll just use Toyota. Have any 200 owners been through this?

FROM THE TOYOTA GLOBAL SITE:

Front differential oil type and viscosity:
Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
Rear Differential Oil Type and Viscosity:
Item
Oil Type and Viscosity
w/o LSD
Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
w/ LSD
Toyota Genuine Differential gear oil LX 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent
Front differential capacity:
1.85 to 1.95 liters (1.96 to 2.06 US qts., 1.63 to 1.71 Imp. qts.)
Rear Differential Capacity:
Item
Specified Condition
Standard
4.15 to 4.25 liters (4.39 to 4.49 US qts., 3.66 to 3.74 Imp. qts.)
w/ LSD
4.10 to 4.20 liters (4.34 to 4.43 US qts., 3.60 to 3.69 Imp. qts.)
w/ Differential lock
How do we know if our vehicle has LSD?

The front and rear OEM diffs are open, not limited slip. No need for additives.

The center diff is a Torsen which acts like a limited slip, but it has its own fluid requirement that is different

As I understand it, all of the 200 series have a Torsen LSD in the center diff.

Torsen-limited-slip-differential​
On road or off, you can never have too much grip. Land Cruiser's Torsen limited-slip center differential is engineered to automatically send more power to the wheel or axle with the most traction, and is equipped with a locking feature so you can manually select 50/50 front/rear power distribution in extremely traction-limited situations.​

Stock, the front and rear are open differentials.

As I understand it, all of the 200 series have a Torsen LSD in the center diff.

Torsen-limited-slip-differential​
On road or off, you can never have too much grip. Land Cruiser's Torsen limited-slip center differential is engineered to automatically send more power to the wheel or axle with the most traction, and is equipped with a locking feature so you can manually select 50/50 front/rear power distribution in extremely traction-limited situations.​

Stock, the front and rear are open differentials.
The center Torsen diff is a limited slip type but the gear oil it specifies doesn’t require the LS additives typically found particularly in rear diffs. I don’t know why. I also do not I think using a 75W oil which has those additives would hurt it.

Thanks, that is pretty much what I figured, just wanted to make sure, and my mechanic was not 100% sure, and asked me. Got all driveline fluids changedf rom engine to rear diff. Hope that helps keep it fresh and feisty.

Additionally had all the old hydraulic suspension components pulled out as well as getting a good undercoating.

Also did the aluminum oil filter cover mod.

Winter is coming.

IMG_3079.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom