Driveshaft/t-case growl noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

White Sheep

Darren
SILVER Star
Threads
Ive had this thread on the main page for about a week. Would like you alls input :

In short, Ive been getting a growl since I added a 3" lift a while back (now I'm 4").

Ive pinpointed the noise to the rear. Added Landtank's rear longer lower control arms for a 4" lift (today 18 May 21). Didn't help. Went to @Soju house this afternoon to drop the rear DS. .no noise. We put his DS on mine and immediate vibration, then a horrible growl (I think this means its not my DS).

We jiggled the output on the t-case. Feels the same as Soju's, but the rear on the axle sounds a little scratchy (compared to Soju's). We dont know if its just because im re-geared (5.29), or something else.

I was kinda following you thread on 80s tech but trailed off.

Did you ever do u joints? His and your shafts (awkward) could both not be accustomed to new angles.

Jiggle to me means lateral movement? But that doesnt equate to scratchy in my mind. So was it “scratchy” in lateral or rotational play?

In my mind. Really only three players in this.
Ujoints
Tcase Output shaft bearing
Pinion bearing.

When regear was done did they put new pinion bearings. Crush or solid sleeve?

I was kinda following you thread on 80s tech but trailed off.

Did you ever do u joints? His and your shafts (awkward) could both not be accustomed to new angles.

Jiggle to me means lateral movement? But that doesnt equate to scratchy in my mind. So was it “scratchy” in lateral or rotational play?

In my mind. Really only three players in this.
Ujoints

When regear was done did they put new pinion bearings. Crush or solid sleeve?
I wanna say I bought both front and rear DS at the same time about two years ago. They already had U-joints. I also think I replaced the U-joints when I had stock shafts and the growl was still there. My buddy's U-joints are toast. I think that was the immediate vibration I was getting when we installed his.

Not sure on the crush or solid sleeve. It's the Nitro kit. I think its crushed, but the noise was prior to and after re-gear.

So now I think that leaves the Tcase Output shaft bearing and Pinion bearing.

the drive shaft is new as the u-joints. i'm leaning towards excessive play in the pinion bearing. it should be smooth, gears aren't going to matter in the smoothness. pull the fill plug and use a bore scope to look at the ring gear for any unusual wear patterns.

Do you get any whine at constant speed or light load?

If Whine I’d guess pinion.

If Grr/growl I’d guess tcase.

Just guesses again but surely new tcase rebuild with 3:1 gearset would identify that’s not the problem ;) lol

Its cheaper to replace your driveshaft u-joints again to be sure, than it is to dive into the diff or tcase.

Does the vibration follow speed? Change with the throttle? Driveshaft in phase?

the drive shaft is new as the u-joints. i'm leaning towards excessive play in the pinion bearing. it should be smooth, gears aren't going to matter in the smoothness. pull the fill plug and use a bore scope to look at the ring gear for any unusual wear patterns.
This will have to be done with you coaching me at your place.

Its cheaper to replace your driveshaft u-joints again to be sure, than it is to dive into the diff or tcase.

Does the vibration follow speed? Change with the throttle? Driveshaft in phase?
Its a growl for sure, not vibration. When I put Soju's DS on, his U-joints are worn. . .that's when I felt vibration.

Probably In The thread linked as I remember watching go pro footage but growl is experienced when?

Acceleration
Deceleration
Coast
Maintain
?

I think I recall certain speeds maybe. I’ll watch again

Probably In The thread linked as I remember watching go pro footage but growl is experienced when?

Acceleration
Deceleration
Coast
Maintain
?

I think I recall certain speeds maybe. I’ll watch again
Its the sweet spot before deceleration on. I usually hear it about 40mph

I had a similar noise on decel due to my rear driveshaft having dry splines. I greased the u-joints and shaft and the noise went away.

I had a similar noise on decel due to my rear driveshaft having dry splines. I greased the u-joints and shaft and the noise went away.
I wish it was that easy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom