Drive plates need painted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had to pick up a new set of Drive plates from Dan to accomidate the longer Birfields I'm installing.

The question is they showed up and they appear to have some zinc content as they are shiney silver unlike my iron looking ones.

Do these need a shot of paint to prevent corrossion?

Yes, I admit this might be a bit anal. ;)

It would be a good idea to paint them. Do not paint the back side or the splines.

Thanks! I guess I could have called but figured someone here would know. Yah, I won't paint the backside. ;)

They will rust easily if the hubcaps are not in place.

Cruiserman,

Hey, how do you like that Odyssey? I can't believe how comfortable those things are - the third seat accomodations blow me away. If you come through CDA, I'll slap a 3M Clear Bra and headlight film on it for dealer cost - we do the local Honda dealers.

On the rust, I agree with Cruiserman. I ran my 80 with steel winter wheels so the drive plates were exposed and was surprised how much they suffered. Nothing a black rattle can won't cure, though.

DougM

Doug, the Odyssey is the best vehicle I've ever driven. Lots of power, great handling, and very comfortable. The only bummer is it's so low to the ground :). I've been looking around for some kind of bra. Decent rubber floor mats, too.

I need to paint my hub flanges. Damn things.

It takes a lot to impress me, and the Odyssey did. That thing's in a whole different time zone compared to all its competitors - most of which I drive on a routine basis as well. So far, I have literally found one glitch which I'll tell you about just to piss you off so that it bothers you (heh). The suspension development left a bit of what we call 'head toss' which is literally a lateral tossing of your head. I checked the tire pressures of the units that did this the most and found uniformely that they were all overinflated, however. From my testing days, head toss could be impacted by inflation, so if yours does this be sure your inflations are spot on and it will prolly disappear - Honda's among the very best suspension tuners.

I'm somewhat loathe to admit this, but I also like the look of it. For a guy who swore he'd NEVER own a minivan I find that disconcerting.

Also seriously impressed with the brakes - have you romped on yours yet? Zero drama - just sucks your eyeballs out and bleeds off speed like a high end exotic. I'll be interested in how it does for you guys as the miles roll on.

DougM

To complete the thread hijack . . .

I was very nervous buying a Honda after owning Toys all these years. The Sienna was priced higher and not even in the same league, which sucks.

One thing I noticed is that it has virtually no torque steer even with all that power and front wheel drive. It doesn't look bad for a minivan. It's so comfortable and a joy to drive. The only downer is the mileage is not as advertised. We don't do a lot of freeway driving where the cylinder activation kicks in, so mileage is down.

The tire pressures were high, but that's always true when you buy a vehicle. It had a big effect on the ride.

So far I'm quite pleased, but I'm still holding my breath. All those fancy gadgets just waiting to fail . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom