Drip drip drip...the coolant puddle!

I have a coolant leak. Dripping pretty heavy from my radiator but I can't tell exactly where.
Is theer and easy fix, or do I need to replace the whole thing? Not sure what my options are.

The only easy fixes are a loose hose clamp either on the top or bottom of the radiator OR a loose drain cock (either the stopper or the whole assembly itself). You'll be able to tell in 5 minutes if those things are all OK.

Beyond that anything you do is a temporary fix, at best. You could try to find where its leaking and resoldering it yourself, but in my experience those repairs never last. "StopLeak" additives are a definite NO.

Depending on your area recoring the rad may be an option (it was $500 near me, but others have said recores are $100 in their parts of the country). You could also find a way to use a radiatorbarn.com replacement, but it'll take some modifications because they don't have them for the diesels, I think.

I second the 'do not consider a stop leak product'. They're all shyte and they deposit all kinds of crap in your cooling system.

This isn't a system where you want a 'quick fix' as it wont last and you will pay later on, and it won't be convenient then either.

If it is the rad, just re-core it. Any rad shop will be able to do it for you as they just order a custom size core and re-build it. Cost me 400 last month. A rad is just two tanks and cores between!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom