Drip Channel rust/repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which brand of self levelling did you use?

Is your headliner in? If not you'll want to spray some Eastwood type rust paint inside the top as well since the rust will have travelled there through the seam.

Which brand of self levelling did you use?

Is your headliner in? If not you'll want to spray some Eastwood type rust paint inside the top as well since the rust will have travelled there through the seam.
I used the 3M self leveling sealer

Man... deep down I know I have to take off the headliner and get it from all directions. get that eastwood encapsulator in there.

Don't use rust encapsulating paint, you'll need to use atf or fluid film or something that wicks into the joint to stop the rust.

I got some Eastwood Rust Converter, maybe that is better and then put some grease in there. Wouldn't ATF just dry up after a while? Perhaps a NLGI 3 grease or thicker.

My plan was to spray in some linseed oil based rust inhibitor after the Eastwood frame saver paint has hardened up. Fluid Film will stink up your interior like sheep, I only use that on the undercarriage. Basically you can't access the inside part of that seam directly from the inside. You have to spray in above it, behind the tube rail that goes around the roof. So you don't actually know what's going on in there. But I do know it connects through to the outside via the pinch weld since one area was a bit thin after I used a razor blade to remove the rust, and the Eastwood paint I sprayed on the inside seeped through to the outside, in the seam under the drip channel.

Atf won't dry up for a while, a long while, but most importantly it'll wick into the pinch weld and stay there, to help prevent rust.

Fluid film, cavity coater, atf/kerosene are the best choices. Imo put that stuff in there after rust converting, prior to paint. Don't want the paint sealing off any areas that the corrosion inhibitor could get into.

Atf won't dry up for a while, a long while, but most importantly it'll wick into the pinch weld and stay there, to help prevent rust.

Fluid film, cavity coater, atf/kerosene are the best choices. Imo put that stuff in there after rust converting, prior to paint. Don't want the paint sealing off any areas that the corrosion inhibitor could get into.
You think it's OK to paint over the coatings you mentioned? Or is the idea to get it into the seem then clean the outside of the seam and then paint?

You won't be able to paint over rust inhibitor -- it is an oil. Once it goes on, no paint is ever going on it again because you won't be able to clean it out.

Hi, On the 3m 08308 it can be painted in 15 minutes. I acid etch the metal and prime with Epoxy primer before painting. Mike

You won't be able to paint over rust inhibitor -- it is an oil. Once it goes on, no paint is ever going on it again because you won't be able to clean it out.

^ This. You can paint over seam sealer, but not ATF/cavity coater/fluid film. I mean you could, but the paint wouldn't stick.

Works the same way as gutters on your house, but even better. :)

The piece that is being removed? Doesn't it just hold the chrome trim?
:)

Some people just get rid of the gutters but that seems like lots of work. If they are removed, more than usual water gets into the door jams and you can't have a roof rack ever again.

Some people just get rid of the gutters but that seems like lots of work. If they are removed, more than usual water gets into the door jams and you can't have a roof rack ever again.
Okay thanks for clarifying. 🙂

I've referred to it as just my roof rack mount........mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom