Drawer design WITH third row seats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@linuxgod alright here's what I got for ya... the pics are really just so you can see what it looks like if you want to lay a base plate down, how I lined things up to measure, etc... I did not remove my carpet/padding though so the base plate would sit lower when I do, that would give you a bit more clearance behind the seat if you wanted to extend your drawer all the way back to the seat. Seat was pushed all the way back (ie max room for passenger) and reclined a couple clicks to comfortable position.

The plate is cut to match up w/ the drop on the floor which makes it 33 5/8" deep. The drawer can be max 20.75" wide. If you add a divider you may need to take into account the thickness of divider material depending how you mount it. Now if you built the drawer to hang over were the floor drops to where it is basically touching the 2nd row seats you can use the following lengths:

If drawers are 15" high, max length 37 5/8"
If 12" high, max length 38 5/8"
and if 10" you can go to 40 1/8"

Not sure if this matters to you or not, but I asked @Markuson if he could sit up if he sleeps on his ARBs, said he cannot. This is important to me because if I can't sit up even at 11" high, I guess going a few inches higher won't matter since I won't be able to sit up anyway. I slept on some totes that were 13" high with a 3.5" pad and it was fine sleeping.

FWIW the ARB drawer dimensions are 945mm long x 505mm wide x280mm high. Note the width is just UNDER 20" wide.

IMG_20190606_152157.jpg
IMG_20190606_152220.jpg
IMG_20190606_152827.jpg
IMG_20190606_153023.jpg
IMG_20190606_153635.jpg

Not sure if this matters to you or not, but I asked @Markuson if he could sit up if he sleeps on his ARBs, said he cannot. This is important to me because if I can't sit up even at 11" high, I guess going a few inches higher won't matter since I won't be able to sit up anyway. I slept on some totes that were 13" high with a 3.5" pad and it was fine sleeping.

FWIW the ARB drawer dimensions are 945mm long x 505mm wide x280mm high. Note the width is just UNDER 20" wide.

View attachment 1996443View attachment 1996444View attachment 1996445View attachment 1996446View attachment 1996447

Ya, not being able to sit up is the worst part about sleeping in back on my drawers.

If we were to do Baja again and I knew I’d be a lone driver...I might consider yanking the fridge out of the second row at night just to create a taller spot inside for transitioning in and out or the vehicle for sleep. Or even better...yanking the front passenger seat for the trip...plunking the fridge there...and having at least 1/2 second row always tall for transitioning in and out of the truck as a sleeper.

Obviously a tent is a logical alternative...but when it gets super windy in Baja, or super cold other places, sometimes the vehicle interior is like a quiet little escape cocoon.

But ya, the “tube” you end up sleeping in in the 200 with drawers does make me appreciate @TonyP ‘s desire for his cavernous FrankenTroopy project.

Love that baseplate setup.

FWIW here’s my ‘half’ setup that i can run with one of the third row seats in place. Fridge slide section drops in without tools. 3 wingnuts and a j-bolt secure it to the drawer and floor. Love the volume of the drawer and the simplicity of the whole setup.

06DB4587-10F4-46FA-AB3C-091F45FBAB6F.jpeg
0BE5F44B-C8FA-40EB-9BEF-83837D65B996.jpeg

EAEF9DE0-9E48-418A-B054-AFD58432841D.jpeg

@CruiserNewby we too have a 200 LX and just this weekend removed the 3rd row powered seats. Took about 10 minutes for both, very easy. We have 3 kids so the seats will need to come and out as needed.

I started a DIY plywood box to slide out our Yeti 65 coolbox and made good progress. I'm handy so I winged the design. Got all the pieces cut and will assemble next weekend. Happy to share what I did. Toughest part was figuring out how/where to mount to the floor without drilling into the frame :)

@linuxgod alright here's what I got for ya... the pics are really just so you can see what it looks like if you want to lay a base plate down, how I lined things up to measure, etc... I did not remove my carpet/padding though so the base plate would sit lower when I do, that would give you a bit more clearance behind the seat if you wanted to extend your drawer all the way back to the seat. Seat was pushed all the way back (ie max room for passenger) and reclined a couple clicks to comfortable position.

The plate is cut to match up w/ the drop on the floor which makes it 33 5/8" deep. The drawer can be max 20.75" wide. If you add a divider you may need to take into account the thickness of divider material depending how you mount it. Now if you built the drawer to hang over were the floor drops to where it is basically touching the 2nd row seats you can use the following lengths:

If drawers are 15" high, max length 37 5/8"
If 12" high, max length 38 5/8"
and if 10" you can go to 40 1/8"

View attachment 1996443View attachment 1996444View attachment 1996445View attachment 1996446View attachment 1996447

How did you mount this plate to the floor? I am going to do similar. Put an ARB drawer on the DS and build a cubby to hold three water cans side by side and a dry goods box on the PS. The PS will either be another drawer, the water/dry box cubby or the seat depending on need, but the base will remain fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom