Dozer gets her hair did (somewhat of a build thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just spent some time catching up on this thread. Great work. Doesn't that first drive put a smile on your face.

I haven't shared it, but have been working thru a parallel (re)build. My Turnkey aluminum 5.3 developed a crack between cylinders 5 and 7, between the steel sleeves. That allowed coolant to mix with the oil. It was a very small amount and caught early, the block is toast. I just took a few early test-drives with a new LQ-9 long block myself.

While we approached the project from different angles, much of the finished product is the same. I was more than happy to dump that old MEFI-4 computer and switch to a standard GM unit with MAF sensor. Early driving impressions are positive.

image1a.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg

Well done Ramon.

Thanks for the kind work Jim, I'm sure your build is top notch like all your work! What kind of IATs you seeing with that intake setup. I'm surprised to see just how much heat soak I'm getting at stoplights and such. On these crazy hot last couple of days, I've seen as high as 160* and it drops right down to about 15* over ambient once moving.

I had originally ordered a ProFlo-4 kit from Edelbrock, but they were unable to deliver anything or even give me a ship date over a 3 month period. My EFI system came from Howell Engine Development. Their system is built with standard off the shelf parts and has full OBD2 capability. I gave them all my build specs and they burned a custom program on the PCM that was sent to me.

I have not yet started to shop for a diagnostic tool that will provide any numbers. I need to let the dust settle with the CFO before starting that discussion. :hmm:

I had originally ordered a ProFlo-4 kit from Edelbrock, but they were unable to deliver anything or even give me a ship date over a 3 month period. My EFI system came from Howell Engine Development. Their system is built with standard off the shelf parts and has full OBD2 capability. I gave them all my build specs and they burned a custom program on the PCM that was sent to me.

I have not yet started to shop for a diagnostic tool that will provide any numbers. I need to let the dust settle with the CFO before starting that discussion. :hmm:

If you’re OBD2 a $15 dongle and associated free smartphone app functions fine if you just want to know :meh:

Swap looking good Ramon :cool:

Been having a blast in my 6L swapped 40. Decided I really wanted speed in my Holley ECU so I could turn of my electric fan at higher speed. Also thought I might use it to play around with a "crawl" tune at some point. I tried using the VSS signal from the back of the speedo cluster, but struck out. Flirted with an Arduino GPS input, but that was so laggy it was useless. So I decided I'd mock a 4L60E VSS signal to the ECU. Here's how:

ECU is looking for a 40 pulse sine wave from the 4L60 trans, so I needed a 40 tooth ring somewhere tied to rotational drivetrain speed. So after debating doing something at the u-joints like some aftermarket kits do (nothing that fits Toyota of course), I decided I'd use the parking drum on my split case. So I drew up a ring that fits perfectly on the smaller diameter of the drum:

1680826402496.png

Uploaded that to sendcutsend.com and in about a week this arrived:

1680826443749.jpeg

Got a coat of paint on it and then tack welded it in a few spots on the parking brake drum. Made a quick little L-bracket to house my inductive speed sensor. Drilled and tapped for a retaining cap screw. Then I positioned the bracket so that there was a proper air-gap and alignment to the toothed ring and welded to my propellor-style tcase mount:

1680826810030.jpeg
1680826870370.png

Then I just had to set up the transmission ICF in my tune to think I have a 4L60E and set a R&P ratio, tire height etc. and BOOM... I now have speed on my little digital display. The best thing was I used ABS sensors off Amazon that are dirt cheap, should they fail. That's why I shyed away from a Hall sensor and a digital frequency input strategy, because I'm not sure how these sensor will stand up to mud and debris over time.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone that's looking to do similar. All in I'm around a hundy bucks and it was a fun learning experience. Hardeat part was trying to get a ground for upside down welding, so booger welds of the sensor bracket had to suffice. Don't judge :D

:beer: Ramon

Started my Vintage Air install. First I tried to mount the compressor low, passenger side like the stock LS. Alas, there is no room for the fittings as they point right into the frame rails. So I switched to a bracket off the passenger side head, up high. Looks great but the shock tower on that side interferes just a tad, needed to buy 1/2" of clearance:

1684720859994.jpeg

So, I cut a small pie slice in the tower, benet it out about 3/4" inch and welded it up:

1684720951229.png

So now it fits:

1684720992635.png

Got the brackets painted today. Will start teardown of the cooling system for the condenser and heater line install next as well as all the in-cab work to fit the evap unit. Going to be a several week project, as we have a lot going on later this month and in June. Hope to have it done in time for the really hot months though!

:beer: R

Cisco gave us the day off so I made more progress today. Got the condenser mounted and the filter drier. Both required fab due to my custom rad and core support.

1684807082765.png

1684807123817.png

Nice work!

For the speed sensor, is there enough flex in the drivetrain (with 400 ft - lbs) at full throttle to hit the sensor?

Thanks. Both are indexed to the transfer case, so will move 1:1 with any drivetrain flex.

Cisco gave us the day off so I made more progress today. Got the condenser mounted and the filter drier. Both required fab due to my custom rad and core support.

View attachment 3329862

View attachment 3329863
How did this turn out? Any lessons learned that I could borrow? Also, do you have any part numbers that you can share from your radiator setup? How well do you like your radiator?

How did this turn out? Any lessons learned that I could borrow? Also, do you have any part numbers that you can share from your radiator setup? How well do you like your radiator?
I've been happy so far with my radiator. It's a Griffin 1-58182-XLS. Prior to adding the condenser, temps never crested 200 with a 187* tstat. Now it's gotten up to around 215ish on a REALLY hot NC day with the AC pumping. I'm running a Spal 14" brushless fan that's controlled by the ECU and that hasn't gone over 80% commanded duty cycle, so I have some room to spare there. Worst case, heavy load, really really hot day might require me to turn off the AC, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

The only other thing about the AC install is that I have the Metaltech family cage and the A-pillar bar got in the way of the evap filter tray sliding out, so I had to put disconnects in that bar on my cage. Not ideal, but I don't think it's a huge deal either.

:beer:
Ramon

I've been happy so far with my radiator. It's a Griffin 1-58182-XLS. Prior to adding the condenser, temps never crested 200 with a 187* tstat. Now it's gotten up to around 215ish on a REALLY hot NC day with the AC pumping. I'm running a Spal 14" brushless fan that's controlled by the ECU and that hasn't gone over 80% commanded duty cycle, so I have some room to spare there. Worst case, heavy load, really really hot day might require me to turn off the AC, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

The only other thing about the AC install is that I have the Metaltech family cage and the A-pillar bar got in the way of the evap filter tray sliding out, so I had to put disconnects in that bar on my cage. Not ideal, but I don't think it's a huge deal either.

:beer:
Ramon
Thanks for the info and the part numbers. I hadn’t thought about the filter tray hitting the cage. I’ll have to see if I can clear that when I build my cage but I’m thinking that will be a bit of a challenge to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom