Door & tailgate sill screws - Quick simple preservation/fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
While working on my 62 today I had to replace a couple of the plastic inserts that the door sill screws go through (how I ended up having a few new ones I have absolutely no clue, but I need to order some more for spares), and I noticed the screws for the door sills and the tailgate sill are self tapping, which always snags the carpet fibers and after only a few insertions (giggity) shred the plastic inserts. They were also all heavily rusted. The inserts, when new, are a softer plastic so can deform without requiring self tapping screws. So during a trip to my local Ace I grabbed a bunch of stainless #10 x 3/4" sheet metal screws, along with some stainless washers for the door sills. They pass through the carpet very easily without catching and snagging, and don't tear up the inserts like the OEM self tapping screws do. Yeah it's not a big groundbreaking thing, but just something to make things a little easier for use and corrosion resistant for the long term (and maybe a little prettier). It'll also help the inserts last longer if you remove your sills frequently. For the sake of consistency in the hardware I used the same screws on both the door and tailgate sills.

Sill Screws 01.jpg

Sill Screws 02.jpg

Sill Screws 03.jpg

Spook, Where can I find the plastic screw grommets? Mine are toast and putting in carpet as we speak. Thx.

While working on my 62 today I had to replace a couple of the plastic inserts that the door sill screws go through (how I ended up having a few new ones I have absolutely no clue, but I need to order some more for spares), and I noticed the screws for the door sills and the tailgate sill are self tapping, which always snags the carpet fibers and after only a few insertions (giggity) shred the plastic inserts. They were also all heavily rusted. The inserts, when new, are a softer plastic so can deform without requiring self tapping screws. So during a trip to my local Ace I grabbed a bunch of stainless #10 x 3/4" sheet metal screws, along with some stainless washers for the door sills. They pass through the carpet very easily without catching and snagging, and don't tear up the inserts like the OEM self tapping screws do. Yeah it's not a big groundbreaking thing, but just something to make things a little easier for use and corrosion resistant for the long term (and maybe a little prettier). It'll also help the inserts last longer if you remove your sills frequently. For the sake of consistency in the hardware I used the same screws on both the door and tailgate sills.

View attachment 2273273

View attachment 2273274

View attachment 2273275

The grommets are still readily available. Toyota P/N 90189-05012

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom