door lock weirdness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
sometimes my doorlocks seem to get stuck between locked and unlocked. when this happens no matter if i use the door panel or key fob, all but the driver door get stuck in the middle and won't unlock. sometimes they won't lock either. this happens inconsistently but more and more frequently. am i doing something wrong or are my door locks broken?

why do they all seem to exhibit the same behavior at once? seems like when it happens it's every door lock except the driver door. then they all act properly for a while as well. they only misbehave at the same time including the tailgate

I believe this is b/c the motor failure is caused by a weak short in the motor windings. This causes the current supplied to generate less torque and hence less actuation. The amount of current supplied to all of the actuators comes from the same source and is split between the motors as a function of their internal resistance. Therefore, if one is bad, they all start behaving funny,

how would i diagnose which one is bad? or is it a replace them all sort of thing?
You would replace whichever lock is having the issue. Mine do this occasionally, but only on hot days. Most commonly happens with my rear passenger door and the others are often unaffected.

For your situation, it just so happens that they are all going bad at the same time.

Most likely it is the drivers door lock as that one is the one that sees the most usage. I had a similar problem with the weak actuator motor. First time using it would be ok but after that the motor would become weak and would not allow for the switch to lock. There is a whole thread on the Door Lock Actuator motor replacement, my recommendation after doing it "the hard way" is that you go the easy route, purchase a good quality Camry actuator assembly and be done with it. You will see what I am talking about in the thread... Thread is linked in the FAQ section

after reading that thread I'm going to go with the camry door lock actuators for 30 bucks each on amazon. going to start with the passenger side since that is the one i notice the most being a problem. probably will order passenger and driver front door actuators. anyone know if the rear door lock actuators correspond to the camry rear actuators?

thanks for all your help!

No telling on the brand on those... Go through RockAuto and spend the extra money (at least on the Drivers door) and get the AISIN one.

No telling on the brand on those... Go through RockAuto and spend the extra money (at least on the Drivers door) and get the AISIN one.

that's for my future reference. btw they're like 56 dollars each for the aisin . not terrible in the context of longevity but more than half the cost of the complete latch assembly of the correct application which is here:

im about to cheap out on aftermarket actuators and maybe order some motors to rebuild the originals. worst case i buy the aisin complete assemblies if these don't last or i can't make them work.

motors -4X FC-280 Motors with Collar - Car Door Lock and Mirror Motors - FC-280PT-22125

from reading the mega thred on this it looks like the rear landcruiser doors take the same left and right actuators as the camry front doors. and the tailgate takes a passenger side actuator. so to do all of them you need three passenger camry actuators and two driver side ones.

@Brandon Ryder How are those locks holding up bud?
I only replaced the passenger side and at this point there is no improvement. If the sun shines on the passenger side of my BLACK cruiser, even if it's 40 degrees outside, the lock acts up. One day i want to get in there and add some heat shielding between the lock and sheet metal to see if that works.

I don't think my original lock even had a problem since the new one acts the same. The issue to me seems to be higher resistance in the system due to the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom