door handle jammed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I bought my 77 40 both outside door handles stick. They have to be pushed back down when closed. I replaced the door mech on the pass side and got the same thing. Looking inside I noticed the arm coming from the outside handle rubs against the door skin. I adjusted everything that I could but no dice.

The welded nut that the (#43) bolt screws into rubs. Both on the new mech, the old one and the drivers side that I haven't touched.

Anyone have this problem? Or is it just my jinxed POS.

WD40! it is that simple....spray a little in the small hole under the handle and presto- works like new...

I had the same symptom ...... outside door handle wouldn't drop back down on it's own.
'Found the rotating mechanism (that rotates when handle is lifted) to be rubbing against the rear window channel.

Rust had eaten through the hole in the rear edge of the door where the lower rear section of window channel attaches with a bolt. With no anchor to the door frame, it migrated toward the mechanism. I Did what I could to halt the rust and put a large washer on the bolt (from outside of door) to span over the rusted hole. Adjusted the bolt in the hole so that the channel is now further toward the inside of door and won't interfere with the lock mechanism.

Dunno' if this is your problem, but worked for me.

John
'79 FJ-40

I actually bent the mechanism on the handle and it clears the door skin now. I have to do it on the drivers side now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom