Door ajar / ignition /chime issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So when I insert the key Into the ignition, the door ajar light and chime comes on even if the doors are closed.

take the key out and it’s shuts off, it works normal but the the chime comes on when the door opens even when the key is out.

I’ve searched around and have not read anything that has similar issue.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

I had a similar issue on my IS300. I replaced the unlock warning switch on the ignition assembly and that solved the problem. The little clip that activates the switch was broken so the switch wouldn't activate. On the IS300 the switch could be replaced separately.

Looks like the same thing on the Landcruiser is 84450-60270, but don't take my word on this one. There are some good pictures on Amazon of an aftermarket part and the white piece with the little button looks similar to the IS300.

Amazon product ASIN B07F263R2Q

I had a similar issue on my IS300. I replaced the unlock warning switch on the ignition assembly and that solved the problem. The little clip that activates the switch was broken so the switch wouldn't activate. On the IS300 the switch could be replaced separately.

Looks like the same thing on the Landcruiser is 84450-60270, but don't take my word on this one. There are some good pictures on Amazon of an aftermarket part and the white piece with the little button looks similar to the IS300.

Amazon product ASIN B07F263R2Q
I’m going to look that up now and definitely worth the try.

Also usually the ring lights usually shuts off when the door is closed. This issue the ring light stays on even while driving.

Before I could take it apart today, the problem went away yesterday, but I’m still motivated to find out what’s wrong with it..

my question is, what triggers the chime when you insert the key? There are no electronics on the cylinder as far as what I can see from pictures in google.

I found this picture in the 100 series forum. It looks a lot like the IS300. The white piece on top with the two wires is the unlock sensor. There is a tab that extends into the ignition and when the key is inserted the switch is closed and the car knows the key is in the ignition.

1614108263203.png

My guess is that this piece on the 80 series ignition wiring does the same thing but not sure. If you remove the dash panel that covers the ignition switch you can probably look in a see what is there. It may have the same switch as above and I just couldn't find the part on Partsouq.

1614108680418.png

Found this on the 60 series forum. You can see the white switch on this one and how it extends into the ignition cylinder. Probably the same design as the 80 series.

1614109599588.png

Well that’s definitely a start... now the next puzzle is, why does it think the door is ajar when I insert the key even though the door is closed.. which also triggers the chime.

Check the door switches, same issue can happen if they are making bad contact or are worn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom