Dog owners with drawers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SS1 from Air Down Gear Up for my Brittany. We don't do a Kennel, but we have a body harness (more supportive than the one pictured) that's tethered to a tie down from the SS1 or to the factory D-rings.

1593010977589.png

Pics of my setup. Still dirty from weekend camping trip. I looked at the Gunner, Ruff Land, etc. kennels and if I had a pickup and was hauling a dog in the bed, it would be a no-brainer purchase for me. But since I've already wrapped a LX470 around my dog, I went with a basic Petmate Sky Kennel and strapped it in to my Kiss drawers at all four corners with quick release 2" round airline track in case of rollover. Have a Mud River waterproof pad in the kennel that has worked out well - can be hosed off and dries fast.
IMG_7500.jpeg

I solved the fridge visibility problem with an Alu-Cab tilting fridge slide so my 10 and 8 yr olds can access the fridge. Have been happy with this setup, but doesn't leave much room for long trips with passengers. Have been using a Yakima Megawarrior up top to transport Oztent, etc., but @nakman is going to be hearing from me soon for a Gamiviti.
IMG_7502.jpeg
IMG_7501.jpeg
IMG_7497.jpeg

Can't help as the pooch is not crate contained, but love the pointer pics.....

I have a 130lb Great Pyrenees. Planning on a barrier behind front seats as I've not found a crate large enough. Plywood platform over rear seat to front of the KISS drawers is in a few days. Carpet on top of platform and drawers to keep his grinch feet from sliding.
Not ideal, I know. I am also considering removing second row seats.

Posting up an AirDownGearUp customer picture of an SS1 setup with two crates up top. Obviously he's running bins instead of drawers, but you can run the SS1 as shown with drawers as well.
IMG_20180919_095323.jpg

I built a single drawer from land shark so I could keep a kennel on the other side. Thinking about a small platform below kennel to increase storage.

88FCDB2E-1E0C-42C7-B22D-2CE8D1823EB2.jpeg

A710FE85-E2C4-4F30-B84D-689F280C7827.jpeg

32DFBC24-E633-4B8B-BD78-ED2A7DA4D474.jpeg

Good lookin bird dog!
Thanks! Betty is a 16 month old GWP and a hunting machine. Took her on several trips last year for exposure and She has crazy drive. She has been at the trainers for the last 4.5 months and should be ready for the upcoming season. Also put some SeaDek on top of the trek box tailgate so it isn’t so slippery.

39EB40FA-B06D-4283-9C2C-6FA68B382E89.jpeg
411FDAAE-1173-445E-AEB7-5B40E93196FE.jpeg

Last edited:
To be honest, if you pack like we do you will not fit 2 (large) dogs, drawers, fridge, and full kit without going to the 2nd row, roof rack (big time) or a trailer.

Not a sales pitch- our Alpha system makes a perfect dog spot, however, with our 70+ lb mutt and family of 4 we still did not have enough room. Or, I should say, I was too lazy to play the Tetris game to that extent. We bought a trailer for full family trips. If you had a pickup you could swing it no sweat.

IMG_5972.JPG

To be honest, if you pack like we do you will not fit 2 (large) dogs, drawers, fridge, and full kit without going to the 2nd row, roof rack (big time) or a trailer.

Not a sales pitch- our Alpha system makes a perfect dog spot, however, with our 70+ lb mutt and family of 4 we still did not have enough room. Or, I should say, I was too lazy to play the Tetris game to that extent. We bought a trailer for full family trips. If you had a pickup you could swing it no sweat.

View attachment 2393900

Oh I definitely pulled the 1/3 side of the second row and have a large portion of our kit on the roof in Front Runner boxes. I got my Reef drawer now just need the wing kit to complete the install!

Hey!
SS1 from Air Down Gear Up for my Brittany. We don't do a Kennel, but we have a body harness (more supportive than the one pictured) that's tethered to a tie down from the SS1 or to the factory D-rings.

View attachment 2349826
Looking into these drawers to (1) travel with my 2 dogs and store gear below and (2) travel solo and sleep in the back.

Have you been satisfied with the functionality/quality?

Also, is there any way to put locks on the drawers?

Hey!

Looking into these drawers to (1) travel with my 2 dogs and store gear below and (2) travel solo and sleep in the back.

I'm a part owner of Air Down Gear Up, so you know my answer on how satisfied I am with the system! :)

Locking drawers: Yes, definitely doable. Ease of adding that depends if you're looking simple child safety or a sealed vault. We don't offer one built in, but the system is very DIY friendly since we don't use sheet metal.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away. PM or email preferred if it strays from the thread topic here as to not derail the thread. info@airdowngearup.com

Hey!

The system is top notch for my dog. I used that textured bed liner paint on the panels and it provides good grip. I paired that with the pet barrier from raingler seen below and it's a nice setup

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER heavy-duty cargo netting - https://raingler.com/collections/toyota-land-cruiser-heavy-duty-cargo-netting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom