Does this look like a 250,000 mile radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the bottom tank (removed with cutting tool) of a 250k mile radiator from my 97.

I expected to see some sludge...but this looks good to me!?

Wondering if the PO had it replaced at some time....but the plastic looked pretty bad/old to me. What do you think?

The upper tank seal was leaking, and I had also broke the return nipple off, was experiencing some elevated temp gauge reading.

Replaced it with a new 93/94 unit from CDan.
Also replaced fan clutch oil with 10k (eaton).
snow cruiser.jpg

It could be the original one; when I replaced my stock radiator with my Ron Davis Racing Radiator I was amazed that there was 0 sludge anywhere. Some rigs sludge, some rigs don't and I have no hint why other than possibly the argument about casting sand and silt left in the block. :cheers:

I put in a Kayo. Just like oem. 225.00 on ebay including shipping

First I'll start by saying the RDR is overkill for Normally Aspirated (NA) rigs but to answer the question it wasn't inexpensive at about $650 IIRC. However it has incredibly huge cooling capacity, is all metal, and is beautifully well built. I chose it for two primary purposes: 1 I wanted more cooling capacity for the turbo and 2 I wanted to get rid of the plastic tanks and plastic bypass piece. For me it was well worth it however it really is overkill. For 99.99% of folks I recommend the replacement from cruisderdan (CU or AL whatever is your preference) and for 100% of folks I recommend avoiding other aftermarket radiators because out of experience on other rigs I found they fail so frequently. HTH. :cheers:

Edit: I haven't heard anything bad about Koyo but the others out there are troublesome IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom