Does this cause for any concern? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was greasing the front drive shaft night and while I took the covering, I found these...seems like a lot of oil. I'm not exactly sure if it's oil or the fluid film that I sprayed last fall. For the 2014 LX 570, should I check the oil while it's hot, warm, or cold? I just changed the oil about 2-3 months ago too.
IMG_6550.png

IMG_6542.png

IMG_6541.png

Thank you so much in advance!

Check hot, after waiting 10 min to drain in the pan.,truck parked level.
That looks like fresh engine oil to me. Why would you spray engine oil in that area?

No, I sprayed fluid film (protection for winter road salting) but I don't think that's Fluid Film even if it is, it should been burnt out already. If it's oil, my oil level should be low, right?

That looks like oil. I'd wipe it clean then drive for a little bit to see if you can narrow down where it's coming from.

Depending on how long it's been leaking, oil might not be noticeably low.

If you changed the oil just a couple months ago and had that undercover off to get at the filter, did you see the oil all over there at that time? Or is this a new thing?

Fluid film can be messy for a long time, but it wouldn't look like fresh oil after almost a year and part of the first photo shows what looks like fresh oil.

Do you have any oil dripping on the ground where the LX is parked?

Have you looked around the front of the engine under the hood, toward the bottom?

To get the level low you need a larger leak.
But you should not ignore this one!
As above advice wipe clean as far as you can reach and write down the date and mileage. Monitor weekly to see how fast progressing - basically how large of a leak you have.
Then, here, you can get advise about what to do - basically play the waiting game or spend the money to fix it.

If you changed the oil just a couple months ago and had that undercover off to get at the filter, did you see the oil all over there at that time? Or is this a new thing?

Fluid film can be messy for a long time, but it wouldn't look like fresh oil after almost a year and part of the first photo shows what looks like fresh oil.

Do you have any oil dripping on the ground where the LX is parked?

Have you looked around the front of the engine under the hood, toward the bottom?
At the time of oil change I removed the cover that covers the oil filter only and this area has no oil even now. Yes, I agreed those looks like fresh oil and not fluid film. I do not have any dripping on the floor. I have looked around the front of the engine and under the hood towards the bottom and there is no sign of any oil. It looks dry. At this point, it seems to be only under neath the vehicle in those specific areas.

I just did an oil check, vehicle is cold, and it looks like this; shown below. I will check again when I have the time to drive around so that the vehicle is hot.

1695831239424.png

To get the level low you need a larger leak.
But you should not ignore this one!
As above advice wipe clean as far as you can reach and write down the date and mileage. Monitor weekly to see how fast progressing - basically how large of a leak you have.
Then, here, you can get advise about what to do - basically play the waiting game or spend the money to fix it.
Thank you for the tip. I will definitely try this procedure....winter is coming and so I want to get this check as soon as I can.

Thank you all for the suggestions/tips.

Timing chain cover leak. Degrease after each oil change and drive on. I’ve been doing this for 90k miles.

I have been monitoring the oil level and it seems to remain the same for the last couple of days. Been so busy I have not gotten the time to clean the oil underneath the vehicle but I came across YouTube videos showing using AUTOPRO leak detector UV dye. Is it safe using it on the LX 570? Thanks!

Clean it up, then look closely where it leaks again. No need for UV anything unless it’s AC.

Level - that is good news.
Don't put stuff in your oil that does not belong there! You use dye on AC because it is hard to find the leak. In your case you already found it. You just need to gauge the size of it.
Many engines have small leaks, and they drive for thousands if not hundreds of thousand miles like that.

Level - that is good news.
Don't put stuff in your oil that does not belong there! You use dye on AC because it is hard to find the leak. In your case you already found it. You just need to gauge the size of it.
Many engines have small leaks, and they drive for thousands if not hundreds of thousand miles like that.
I was thinking of putting AT-205 but after cleaning the under body oils, left it over night and see nothing, I assumed it's good? I have been checking the oil level regularly and this is what it looks like in the morning, engine cold.
1696876031594.png

This is what the oil looks like after about 3,639 miles since the last oil change. I will continue checking the underbelly every now and then.

Thank you all for your help and responses.

I was thinking of putting AT-205 but after cleaning the under body oils, left it over night and see nothing, I assumed it's good? I have been checking the oil level regularly and this is what it looks like in the morning, engine cold.
View attachment 3451712
This is what the oil looks like after about 3,639 miles since the last oil change. I will continue checking the underbelly every now and then.

Thank you all for your help and responses.

Do NOT use AT-205 in the engine. That’s one surefire way to ruin a perfectly good engine.

Do NOT use AT-205 in the engine. That’s one surefire way to ruin a perfectly good engine.
Yeah, I was SO close to using it because I've already gotten the bottle but I've hold on to it until I double check the underbelly for any signs of oil first. Glad I didn't pour it in yet but will continue to monitor the oil level.

What @Zill is saying is don't use it even if the leak persists.

Okay, I have been tracking the oil leak in my '14 LX 570 for sometime now. Based on the oil stick that I've been measuring every so often, it does not appear to be a major drop in oil level. However, based on some of these images, it does look like I'm certainly have I have leak. I just wasn't sure where it's leaking from.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom