Does Denso make the OEM spark plug wires? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know who manufactures the OEM spark plug wires for the 80 series? I know the aftermarket Bosh wire kits available from your local parts house have not gotten good reviews, but I was wondering about the Denso's. Their plug wire kit is about half the price of the Toyota kit. I'm curious if anyone knows about the quality/reliability of this wire set. Especially since a lot of components under the hood of a Toyota is sourced from Denso.

From their website: DENSO First Time Fit ignition wire sets are identical in form, fit, color and performance to the factory-installed wire sets. Every part of each wiresets construction meets or exceed OE/OES specifications. 7 Wires per set
Denso part # 671-6172.

Anyone?

The factory wires are Yazaki.

How much are the Denso wires? I just ordered the wires from cdan and at ~$85.00 and thought it was very reasonable. Perfect fit with all new wire hangers.

Riley

I just ordered a heap-o-PM parts from C-Dan...but I held off on the plug wire set b/c I wanted to try the NGK's ($65 for NGK vs. $85 OEM). Anyone hear anything negative about the NGK wires and/or plugs? Please advise...Thanks

I have the NGK wire and they are great, BUT they did NOT come with the new plastic caps that snap on the distributor cap.. So be very careful not to break any of them since you will need to put them on your NGK wires.
later

I just ordered a heap-o-PM parts from C-Dan...but I held off on the plug wire set b/c I wanted to try the NGK's ($65 for NGK vs. $85 OEM). Anyone hear anything negative about the NGK wires and/or plugs? Please advise...Thanks

My experience is on other motors, found that they dried out and cracked way faster than OEM. But it's very hot here, they may last longer in cooler climates and this is old info I haven't run them in 10+ years, prefer OEM wires.

Haven't had any problems with my Bosch wires and they've been on for about a month. I was hesitant to buy them at first but went with them anyway. How bad can they be? We'll see how they hold up.

The Denso's list for $58.93 at densoproducts.com. I thought the OEM wireset was about $109. Maybe that was list? I obviously thought Denso may have made the OEM wiresets. But that's not the case.

C-Dan - Thanks for chiming in with the manufacturer info.

SpikeDogg - If you do some searching, you'll see that the Bosch wiresets have a bad track record on the 80. Just remember that for any future ignition troubleshooting so you can start there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom