Does a lifted 80 really have caster issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe it was the working over the gasket spacers recieved on the rubicon that die the trick.
Sean

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=2;threadid=6728;start=msg55274#msg55274 date=1067088074]
hmmmm I have run those for years and when I have swaped front springs they still looked fine after 6 years....I did replace with new ones when I did J springs 2 years ago only cause they were so cheap and used Slee's spacers on the rear. But I have no problems with the Mr G spacers.

John H
[/quote]

I think they only become a problem on trucks that get wheeled, and taken offroad Holmaas :flipoff2: :p :flipoff2:

What bracket breaks and where? I have a solid knock on bumps and 1 good solid knock when turning left. I have the OME j-springs and castor correcting bushings.

Don

I believe Shed is refering to where the leading rods bolt to the front axle housing. Caster bushings are significantly stiffer than OEM bushings. In extreme flexing something has to give. The rods flex at the axle housing and at the frame end. With the axle end more or less "hard mounted" the frame end bushings can't do it all. At one time Christo had some rods with joints in them.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=6728;start=msg55227#msg55227 date=1067054359]
...Will be curious to see how it does with the portals though. :D
[/quote]
I dont really keep up with the 80s section but are portals your plan junk? if so about how long until we see something?

maybe once junk gets his finger from his rear portal, he may get some on the 80..... :flipoff2:

OK,

Finally had time to press the bushings. (BOY, I can hardly wait til I get to do that again :rolleyes: ).

To refresh, Spec is +3 deg +/- 1 deg. I was at -1.4 on the left and -1.5 on the right. After, it is +.9 on the left and +.8 on the right. A correction of 2.3 degrees on both sides. Not enough to get it back where it should be, but certainly better than it was. Clearly J springs or other higher lifts need much more than just the OME bushings.
Christo has maintained this observation all along. Clearly he is correct and now we have hard numbers to back him up.

D-

Yes, it has, quite a bit.

It is much better when I swerve and honk the horn and roll down my window to wave to my "friends" to tell them they are #1 :flipoff2: in my book. :rolleyes:

Shed has been hinting that Christo has a solution using stock bushings.

That's just great, I just press the OME's in and toss the old ones and I hear this :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

That's just not right :whoops:

Dan - can you elaborate on the procedure used to install the bushings? Did you use the other side as a jig to position the bushing?

How about the measurements? Is that still required if using the other side as a jig?

Any types would be helpful to the anal, mechanically challenged geeks like myself.

R

Riley, this is how I did it:

After the lift is installed, park the vehicle on a flat surface.
Measure from the ground up to the center of the mounting bolt on the frame end (rear) of the leading arm. Then take a measurement from the ground to the center of the front axle housing mount bolt. Record both measurements. You will get something where the rear will be a couple inches higher than the front.
Remove the arms and lay one of them flat on it's side. get a long straight edge like a 4 foot level or mark a straight line on the floor.
Position the arm so the center of the front and rear bolt holes are the same distance from the line as they were from the ground.
Take a carpenter's square or the like and mark lines perpendicular to the straight edge, through the center lines of all three holes.
Mark the top and bottom of the mounting rings where the bushings go. Do all three and mark both sides of the arm. I used a cold chisel and "punch marked" the top and bottom. Be sure the marks are clear as you will be very unhappy if you can't see them later.
Repeat the process on the other arm.

measure the center-to-center of the axle mounting bushings, IIRC it's 7.25 inches.
Press the old axle mounting bushings out. Position the OME bushing in the front hole so that the bolt hole in the bushing is at the top mark and the line moulded in the bushing is pointed at the bottom mark. Press the front bushing.
Next you will postion the rear bushing so that the hole is at the bottom mark and the line is at the top mark. BEFORE you press the rear bushing, check the center-to-center measurement, you should be right on.
Repeat on the other arm and re-install.

D-

Geez Dan, even I am confussed. :)

FWIW, the bushings are tapered on the one side, which is the same side as the line that is moulded in the bushing. It is easier to place the bushing on the press plate and place the arm over it. Then press the arm onto the bushing.

If Slee is coming out with a castor fix does this mean I should go ahead and oreder the J springs???? Or will I still have other problems?

Christo,

What, you don't like my feeble attempt at Beonese? :flipoff2:

I can't help it if you have done 6 gillion of them...... :D

So, what's up with this secret caster weapon that Shed keeps teasing us with?..... :slap: Please, tell all....... :beer:

D-

[quote author=waldrtw link=board=2;threadid=6728;start=msg61703#msg61703 date=1068572605]
If Slee is coming out with a castor fix does this mean I should go ahead and oreder the J springs???? Or will I still have other problems?

[/quote]

Caster can be fixed, only other problem may be your tyres look to small :flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6728;start=msg61764#msg61764 date=1068580042]
Christo,

What, you don't like my feeble attempt at Beonese? :flipoff2:

I can't help it if you have done 6 gillion of them...... :D

So, what's up with this secret caster weapon that Shed keeps teasing us with?..... :slap: Please, tell all....... :beer:

D-
[/quote]

You are going to have to wait for the show and tell.

ok, this post needs the 'this post makes no sense without pictures' smilie - anyone want to take some photos of this process so when I need to do this in the new year I know what I'm doing :D?

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=6728;start=msg61843#msg61843 date=1068592607]
You are going to have to wait for the show and tell.
[/quote]

Or as we call it here, bring and brag 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom