Dobinsons 2" lift kit install on 2011 GX460 (Orange County) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did the same set up, so far it's been great on the road. My lift is just under 2" comfort set up. We're headed up to Tahoe right during a snow storm this Wed so my set up should be really tested. Shout out to Miyaki Motorsports who I finally decided on to do all the work. I've never worked with a more honest and capable shop. Simply outstanding. It's such a great feeling when you find any place thats honest, takes pride and has passion for they do and has fair prices. I'll be using them for everything in the future, cannot recommend them enough.

C0AE7CF4-2B3F-41EA-832E-2353440619DF_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
I did the same set up, so far it's been great on the road. My lift is just under 2" comfort set up. We're headed up to Tahoe right during a snow storm this Wed so my set up should be really tested. Shout out to Miyaki Motorsports who I finally decided on to do all the work. I've never worked with a more honest and capable shop. Simply outstanding. It's such a great feeling when you find any place thats honest, takes pride and has passion for they do and has fair prices. I'll be using them for everything in the future, cannot recommend them enough.

View attachment 2142001

Looks rad man, thanks for the video pan. Are those OEM wheels? R18? So your tire size is 265/70/R18 ?

You nailed it looks awesome. Does the new wheel/tire combo fit in the spare carrier area fully inflated?

Thanks. Yes, it does. I found all sorts of conflicting information before I just gave it a try. Even the owner of a local wheel shop told me he had a customer try it with my wheel/tire/oem hitch combo with the results that the customer was unsuccessful and damaged the rim. I had to try it for myself so I did. I sprayed some coconut oil in the spare well and against the inside of the OEM hitch, cranked the wheel/tire up so one edge was in the well just above the back of the hitch, then got underneath, pulled guard ;) and pushed it in the rest of the way with my knees and arms, voila! It took a little fiddling and certainly not for someone who isn't comfortable getting physical, but it's in.

Getting it out will certainly require some leverage and effort, but also doable.

For me at least -- that's better than the weight/hassle/expense of the alternate solutions.

One other thought: If I was to do it all over again I'd shave about 6-8K worth of tread off the spare because (1) it will go in the well even easier, and (2) If I ever need to use the spare I'd prefer that it's diameter be closer to the other tires (I tend to overthink things though).

Nicemarmot, it's looking really good! May have to try and hook up with you for a day trip in our local mountains!
Where in SoCal are you?
You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

Thanks to the members who pointed me to Kyle at Treaty Oaks Offroad for my lift kit. Got it installed and aligned yesterday (Dobinsons 2" Medium Lift Kit on 2011 GX460 base). Took four hours including alignment and driving between Saddleback Automotive (Costa Mesa) and the alignment shop, Costa Mesa Brakes, Inc. Lift looks higher than 2" (forgot to measure the stock lift, so can't be sure). Rides better than stock, on road compliance is the same or improved, but less sway and dive.

I was impressed with the quality of work done by Victor at Saddleback (and his boss Adam, who checked Victor's work every 15 minutes or so) and Carlos at Costa Mesa Brakes (who also checked every step of his technician's progress, and test drove my car twice to verify a job well done). I watched both of them from start to finish and they treated my vehicle as if it were their own.

Carlos at Costa Mesa Brakes say's he aligns a newly lifted GX almost weekly, and Saddleback Automotive does a lot of lifts in general, and seemed dialed in on the GX platform. Both excellent shops from my experience.

Now to pick wheels, which I've been obsessing over for two months.

View attachment 1953492

View attachment 1953493

View attachment 1953494

View attachment 1953495
Nice ! i was researching Dobinson kits for my 2016, did you go with the MRR or with IMS kit? How are you liking the ride so far?

Nicemarmot, it's looking really good! May have to try and hook up with you for a day trip in our local mountains!
Where in SoCal are you?
You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

I'm in OC. Let's do that day trip, or an overnight.

I'm in OC. Let's do that day trip, or an overnight.
San Clemente.
Thinking of doing something easy for several of us southerner's, like maybe Saddleback or ???
There's the other fellow who has a location as Disneyland and a couple down in San Diego.
I'd be cool to have about a half dozen GX's lined up on a trail!

If you only have the small bolt-on Class III hitch (5,000lbs) you can squeeze a 255/70/18 (32.1x10x18) on the stock wheel underneath.

CPOKTE0.jpg

i0T3eLF.jpg

Im about to install a 2" lift myself... I didnt see any of you guys discuss upper control arms. Did you guys get aftermarket UCAs with your lifts? Are you able to get good alignment numbers with factory UCAs?

I went with TC UCA's. They are always recommend but I think the general consensus is that you can get by without them up to about a 2" lift.

I went with TC UCA's. They are always recommend but I think the general consensus is that you can get by without them up to about a 2" lift.
Appreciate the response and clarification. Are there other UCAs that you might recommend other than TC? I guess SPC? I only get off road on occasions so I don't need the best of the best.

Appreciate the response and clarification. Are there other UCAs that you might recommend other than TC? I guess SPC? I only get off road on occasions so I don't need the best of the best.

Icon, Dobinsons, Ironman, SPC, JBA, etc., pretty much anything you see used on the 5th Gen 4Runner will work. People like SPC and JBA because it uses an easily sourced ball joint for quick replacement instead of the required maintenance and repair on the others.

It’s been a little bit. How’s everyone impressed with the ride quality? Currently debating between the regular kit and the IMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom