Dobinson leaf springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry about my slow response, for the front there is DOB-HJ45-7L-F 45mm can handle 440 pounds additional weight ( bumper, winch, etc ) and DOB-40-7L-F for stock weight. For the rear there is DOB-TOY-034-R for stock at 45mm lift and DOB-TOY-029-R for 330 lbs additional load. The heavier pairs 30 to 50 bucks more. These are without any bushings, shackles, shocks, u-bolts. I went with the heavier load sets.

Sorry about my slow response, for the front there is DOB-HJ45-7L-F 45mm can handle 440 pounds additional weight ( bumper, winch, etc ) and DOB-40-7L-F for stock weight. For the rear there is DOB-TOY-034-R for stock at 45mm lift and DOB-TOY-029-R for 330 lbs additional load. The heavier pairs 30 to 50 bucks more. These are without any bushings, shackles, shocks, u-bolts. I went with the heavier load sets.

This photo is of the heavy load front and rear with 33x10.50-15?

8F9CF0B6-4F86-4000-B897-E2A9F0EE356A.jpeg

What did you guys torque your shackle bolts to? Dobinson USA told me 90 ft lbs. I asked them to double check that number, and they confirmed it. That seems pretty high. It opens up the split washers.

@crikeymike?

I’m fine if the correct answer is 90 ft lbs. The factor specs from the 1971 Chassis Manual are 36 - 58 ft lbs. Just looking for if I should use 50 or 90 ft lbs.

Last edited:
I’m fine if the correct answer is 90 ft lbs. The factor specs from the 1971 Chassis Manual are 36 - 58 ft lbs. Just looking for if I should use 50 or 90 ft lbs.
What I ment by using the nylok nuts, is that I agree. 90 ft lbs sounds excessive. Think about it, that’s more than the lug nuts.

What did you guys torque your shackle bolts to? Dobinson USA told me 90 ft lbs. I asked them to double check that number, and they confirmed it. That seems pretty high. It opens up the split washers.

@crikeymike?
I don't have the torque spec of them, sorry. There's a sleeve running through the whole thing, so they'll get maxed out anyway on what "tight" is. I recommend the factory service manual for all torque settings, but it's possible they don't use the same nut and lock washer like Dobinsons do.

I would use these factory specs

This appears to be a stock height pair, at a very low cost - am I missing anything? I presume I need the 25mm eye for a '78 FJ40 (smaller eye than later trucks)?

This appears to be a stock height pair, at a very low cost - am I missing anything? I presume I need the 25mm eye for a '78 FJ40 (smaller eye than later trucks)?

Steve, those are the Dobinsons I have on the front of mine. 45mm lift. I went with the 50mm (DOB-TOY-029-R) on the rear. 610.00 for both pair. Oops, correction. DOB-HJ45-7L-F on the front.
0221794A-996A-4545-A53E-E2A7A3C345A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks nice. I don't want a lot of lift, since I have 33x9.5s on my truck. From whom did you buy them?

Steve, I bought them from @amfindustrialusa.com their in Miami, Florida. Their website is a little wonky to navigate, if you have difficulty call them at 1-786-292-7750. Oh, and free shipping.

Here is my rig with lite duty Dobinsons.

I think these ride well however my cruiser lean was still present after I put the new springs on. I even swapped the springs to make sure (no luck). I think the lite duty is more sensitive to weight. If you have some lean you might get the heavy duty at least for the backs. Or maybe one of each?

IMG_20210606_170638.jpg
IMG_20210606_170649.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom