Do Transfer Case gears have a wear pattern? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been pawing through all of the transfer case rebuild threads for a while now, but I haven't seen anything mentioned about this...

Maybe it's a dumb question?

I'm planning on doing a rebuild on my transfer case and I was wondering if I need to mark the locations where the gears are touching so that when put back together the wear pattern is the same?

I ask because a few years back I had to change out the differential gears in the CJ-7 I used to have and didn't mark the wear pattern on the used gears going into it and got a subtle grinding noise and had to do it all over again with new gears.

Thanks

(Edit: this would be a split case on an 87 FJ60)

The gear teeth don't mate with identical gears. One of the drive gears is always a different size. That being the case, the teeth are always engaging different ones with every revolution.

When you can cut your finger on the gear tips it is time to change them. About 500,000 miles or 10 with no oil.

Thanks for the replies... I've been thinking it over most the weekend (had my PE exam on friday) and came up that there shouldn't be a pattern like there was on the spider gears (the transfer gears should always hit flat at the same spots)

I just didn't want to put all the work into it and have it messed up because I wasn't paying attention.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom