do these ball-type siphons work well? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
thinking about storing gas cans on the rack.
Do these ball / shake type siphons work well enough that you can get them going from dry without having to suck on it etc? (e.g. with the end dipping in a can on the roof?)
If so, does it matter what kind?

the one i've got works great. it's better if the can is higher than than filler for the vehicle. i've emptied a 5 gallon jerry can faster with the siphon than through the spout

and the thing doesn't drip gas afterwards too much?

I've seen some generic models at gun shows that were like $5 or so... probably all over the place now, HF etc?

They work great. No sucking at all. Otherwise they would be pointless.

They can't drip gas afterwards if you clear the gas out of it. After you are done and have drained the ful in the line into whatever tank it is going to, hold the siphon by the valve end and swing it in a circle over your head a couple of times. The same principle that makes a siphon work in the fist place will draw any small amunts of remaing fuel out the end. No drips no mess then.

Mark...

must be a sight to spin that thing with 15 ft of tubing... can you say rodeo...?

good place to buy one that works and is cheap?

If you like the Supersiphon, there is no better place to order from than Expeditionexchange.com

If you like the Supersiphon, there is no better place to order from than Expeditionexchange.com

I'll second that.. I got mine from there too.. I didn't think I would need the extension in the beginning, but I was wrong.. it sure makes things much easier..

I get mine locally. all the snow machine/ATV/Boat dealers have them. They've got them at Lowes or Home Depot too (don't remember at which, but I saw them just a week ago).

Mark...

i got mine from harbor freight. i have put more than 100 gallons through it 5 gallons at a time. it was $6 or so. i have just noticed recently that i have to check the ball before i start the syphon becouse it sometimes wedges itself in place and wont start. just poke it once and it works like new.

I put 100 gallons through mine over 3-4 days durning this years Cruiser Trek. Very handy tool. I have sucking gasoline. :(

Mark...

I put 100 gallons through mine over 3-4 days durning this years Cruiser Trek. Very handy tool. I have sucking gasoline. :(

Mark...

20 cans....? :eek:

Nope, the cans that we had we just poured. We also had two 55 gallon drums...

Actually we had two each in the back of two different support rigs. I wasn't thinking about it all that hard. So I guess I put 200+ gallons through the super siphon.

Mark...

Jeez Eric - haven't I told you all this already?

I love mine. I don't even own a nozzle for the gas can. As fast or faster and no spills.

Ross

I love mine. I don't even own a nozzle for the gas can. As fast or faster and no spills.

Ross

You need better gas can/spouts! ;)

With the unrestricted nozzle, I can dump my 5 gallon mil-spec cans into the tank in 30 seconds or less.

One of the Nato cans with the unvented, cheap chinese crap nozzle that most places provide to use with them are another story entrirely however. :(

Mark...

You need better gas can/spouts! ;)

With the unrestricted nozzle, I can dump my 5 gallon mil-spec cans into the tank in 30 seconds or less.

One of the Nato cans with the unvented, cheap chinese crap nozzle that most places provide to use with them are another story entrirely however. :(

Mark...

Where can you get such nozzles? My fuel transfers usually result in an Exxon Valdez type of experience in slow motion.:D

It's been a while since I actually purchased one. Nothing special about them. Just screw on or cam lock spouts for the large mouth jerry cans (spend the money for the new generation plastic mil-spec cans... they're worth it...

( I like the rubber block, cam lock spouts myself. Much easier and quicker to attach and detach and less likely to leak while fueling.)

Make sure you get the old school "unleaded fuel" spouts. These are larger (1 1/4 inch dia) and do not fit through any "unleaded fuel only" fuel tank restrictors (3/4 inch dia). But then those restrictors whould really be removed from any rig which see's much field time anyway.

Mark...

This may be a stoopid question but for some reason my supersiphon isn't working right or perhaps I forgot how to use it ?!

So, I am trying to remove gas from a 60 gas tank and have been sticking the siphon down the filler hose and into the gas tank. If I recall correctly, don't you just shake the siphon up and down until the gas reaches the peak height of the hose and begins to flow, then you can stop and watch it drain itself. Right? Well the suction does not want to work on my syphon apparently. I have placed the ball valve into the gas tank and have the empty gas can on the ground next to the rig. Syphon draws gas but only while I'm jerking it. Gets old quick, lol. Any good ideas? Go easy with the wisecracks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom