Do I really need remove ps pump pully for replacing serpentine belt tensioner assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I will replace the serpentine belt tensioner assembly and alternator these days, I reviewed the faq, I found this:

"5. Remove pulley from power steering pump; 17mm nut with box end wrench" in the guidelines of how to replace serpentine belt tensioner.

My question is:
1. do we really need to remove the ps pump pulley to get this job done? will removing all the mount bolts of the ps pump and push it a little forward work for this case?
2. what is the torque spec for the serpenting belt tentioner assembly mount bolts?
3. what is the torque spec for alternator mount bolts?

Thank you so much!

The tensioner is spring loaded. Put a long 14mm(?) wrench on the tensioner bolt, and it should give you enough room to slide the belt off.

The tensioner is spring loaded. Put a long 14mm(?) wrench on the tensioner bolt, and it should give you enough room to slide the belt off.
did you mean removing the pully itself or the whole assambly?

I'm going off memory from my timing belt job, so I could be a little rusty. But from the thread you linked:

1. Remove the belly pan
2. Remove the plastic engine cover
3. Remove the airbox

Hopefully these are self explanatory. I was trying to clarify #4 to read something like this:

4. Remove the belt by using a 14mm wrench to twist the tensioner bolt CCW, compressing the spring enough to remove the belt.

From there, what you do with the tensioner depends on what you want to replace. Just the bearing on the tensioner pulley means you only need to undo that 14mm bolt fully and swap out the pulley or just press in a new bearing. Removing the entire tensioner assembly is a bit more involved, but not terrible.

I suspect the alternator comes out most easily from the bottom, but you'll want to double check that. If you are having trouble visualizing, watch the first 12 minutes of this even though a lot of it does not apply to you.

Why are you replacing the whole tensioner assembly?
I really don't know why, I only can find the whole assembly from the dealer, and I bought it. But of course, I can detach the pully from the new assembly then replace the old pully only. Is there any more benefit for replacing the whole assembly?

I'm going off memory from my timing belt job, so I could be a little rusty. But from the thread you linked:

1. Remove the belly pan
2. Remove the plastic engine cover
3. Remove the airbox

Hopefully these are self explanatory. I was trying to clarify #4 to read something like this:

4. Remove the belt by using a 14mm wrench to twist the tensioner bolt CCW, compressing the spring enough to remove the belt.

From there, what you do with the tensioner depends on what you want to replace. Just the bearing on the tensioner pulley means you only need to undo that 14mm bolt fully and swap out the pulley or just press in a new bearing. Removing the entire tensioner assembly is a bit more involved, but not terrible.

I suspect the alternator comes out most easily from the bottom, but you'll want to double check that. If you are having trouble visualizing, watch the first 12 minutes of this even though a lot of it does not apply to you.

Fabulous! thank you!

I really don't know why, I only can find the whole assembly from the dealer, and I bought it. But of course, I can detach the pully from the new assembly then replace the old pully only. Is there any more benefit for replacing the whole assembly?
Only if it has lost tension. Most often the bearing in the pulley fails but the tensioner itself is still fine.

Reactions: MJK
Hi, I will replace the serpentine belt tensioner assembly and alternator these days, I reviewed the faq, I found this:

"5. Remove pulley from power steering pump; 17mm nut with box end wrench" in the guidelines of how to replace serpentine belt tensioner.

My question is:
1. do we really need to remove the ps pump pulley to get this job done? will removing all the mount bolts of the ps pump and push it a little forward work for this case?
2. what is the torque spec for the serpenting belt tentioner assembly mount bolts?
3. what is the torque spec for alternator mount bolts?

Thank you so much!
I just removed the three vane pump mounting bolts and moved the pump towards the passenger fender apron an inch or so when I changed my tensioner. You can leave the hoses attached to the pump, and all three bolts are accessible through the holes in the pump pulley.

Only if it has lost tension. Most often the bearing in the pulley fails but the tensioner itself is still fine.
well, if there is a benefit like this, I will change it. I could see my lc 04 abused by its previous owner for a long time. So I don't want to guess so much, I just change it since I have all new parts. You would not believe that I found there are two pair of clamps in the same place when I change its power steering reservoir and hoses, it means when it leaked fluid the pre owner just put another layer of clamp.....

You will need to remove the power steering pump to the side to get the alternator out anyway so you may as well do the whole tensioner.. Good Luck

You will need to remove the power steering pump to the side to get the alternator out anyway so you may as well do the whole tensioner.. Good Luck
Thanks, I probably get some issue and have to back here ask you guys, this is the second biggest car project in my life..., but I believe I will get a bigger one soon...

Its a five minute process, regardless. Spent far more time in all this discuss. Dont worry, it's not too hard.

Keep the Cruiser Faith ! Happy Wrenching !

I haven't done the job on a 100 but I did do it on my old 2uz Sequoia. The tensioner is mounted behind the power steering pump and the alternator, I moved both out of the way to get to the tensioner. If you just need to replace the pulley/bearing the job is much simpler.

@zhloea

No, remove the belt and then put a 14mm deep socket through the pulley, Loosen or remove the three PS pump bolts, gently move it forward and out of the way. Bunjee cord it. If the rear air lines are fragile the may break , use caution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom