Do I really need an LT rated tire? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am currently running the RW's with KO2's in LT285/70R17 and do notice a slightly rougher ride on the highway than the Cooper HT's I was running previously. On pavement the plush ride of the HT's was great, but once I got off road, they seemed to bounce in a way that was not pleasant. Something like the Geolander would probably be a good middle ground, IMO. My LC is no longer my DD so moving to a LT E-rated tire is fine for me and would probably be fine for me anyway since I don't put many miles on my daily driver. But for someone with a daily commute and many miles on pavement, I can understand the drawbacks of the LT.

I agree, and I don't expect it to. I just worry about folks like bloc that go from a P metric to E load KO2 and are miserable. I don't want that experience. Stiffer ride, fine. Misery? No thanks.

I'd bet plenty of people wouldn't mind it.. I just dislike the feeling that the tires are going to rattle bolts loose, making headlights shake, etc. Especially when the extra load capacity just isn't needed. But at the end of the day there isn't enough market for P-metric AT tires for manufacturers to produce them, so we compromise and run what is good enough.

Different suspension will play into this also. I'd imagine the stock LC suspension and especially LX AHC will have the best chance of making even a stiff riding tire, ride passably.

I was going to bring that up.. It's entirely possible that if I had an LX I wouldn't mind the tires so much with the active damping adjustment. But I don't. It's also possible, if not likely, that a high-dollar aftermarket suspension with more appropriate valving would calm down the characteristics of these tires that I don't like.. specifically the shuddering feeling on sharp hits. As someone else pointed out they design these suspension systems as just that.. a system.. and assume things like tire weight, vehicle weight, suspension travel, etc.. by introducing a tire that rides much stiffer because of greater needed air pressure, we throw some of those design factors off. AHC or say BP-51s may be able to account for that.. I don't know.

All of these are just excuses to look for a set of rock warriors..

I've been read and watching the post, been really thinking about the LT275/7018 BFG KM3 or the Goodyear MTR. I had the MTR on my 2017 4runner before trading it in for my TLC. It is NOT my DD and more of a weekend vehicle for the family....

I've been read and watching the post, been really thinking about the LT275/7018 BFG KM3 or the Goodyear MTR. I had the MTR on my 2017 4runner before trading it in for my TLC. It is NOT my DD and more of a weekend vehicle for the family....

I run the KM2's on my 200(3rd set), they definitely make some noise, but not a deal breaker for me. Our rig is mostly used offroad and weekend trips! I've heard the KM3's are quieter and have improved performance on wet pavement, with those 2 enhancements I think they KM3 is an excellent choice. if they come out with the KM3 in the 285/70 R18 soon I will grab a couple sets for my rigs.

For those looking for a decent deal on RW wheels:

Since I"m the OP I thought I'd reply with an update. Just had Cooper AT3 4s's (non LT) installed and they look better than Grantreks I had and seem almost as smooth. Size I went with 275/65/18, inflated to 36 PSI...tire weight is around 43 lbs and depth is quite good for a non LT.
Got these for like $190 each, no tax, delivered. I'll report soon once I drive them a bit....what do you guys consider to be a break in period? Pics to follow. Thanks again for the advice on here.

Since I"m the OP I thought I'd reply with an update. Just had Cooper AT3 4s's (non LT) installed and they look better than Grantreks I had and seem almost as smooth. Size I went with 275/65/18, inflated to 36 PSI...tire weight is around 43 lbs and depth is quite good for a non LT.
Got these for like $190 each, no tax, delivered. I'll report soon once I drive them a bit....what do you guys consider to be a break in period? Pics to follow. Thanks again for the advice on here.

The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure for the ISO-Metric 275/65R18 116T Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires on your 2010 LC200 is 33psi F/R.

Looks like you can bring the tire pressure down a little - even more comfortable ride :bounce:

Thanks for posting back with your decision - always nice to get closure.

HTH

Thanks for the tire pressure rec Gaijin....I'll lower to 34 and see....I'd rather be a little over than under.

Update for me:

I found a set of RW here in Houston and put them on my '13 200 with LT285/70/17 KO2s @ 40psi.

Despite all my concerns, I couldn't be happier.

1. Ride on rough Houston streets is not too bumpy at all.
2. Ride on the Highway from Houston to Durango and back last week was great. Handled 80mph+ fine.
3. We had 36" of snow on top of the 300" they already had in Durango this year. Drove through snow banks, slush, etc. with ease. Scaled steep backroads in the snow to our house like nothing was the matter. My cousins 4wd Denali Truck couldn't do it.

Update for me:

I found a set of RW here in Houston and put them on my '13 200 with LT285/70/17 KO2s @ 40psi.

Despite all my concerns, I couldn't be happier.

1. Ride on rough Houston streets is not too bumpy at all.
2. Ride on the Highway from Houston to Durango and back last week was great. Handled 80mph+ fine.
3. We had 36" of snow on top of the 300" they already had in Durango this year. Drove through snow banks, slush, etc. with ease. Scaled steep backroads in the snow to our house like nothing was the matter. My cousins 4wd Denali Truck couldn't do it.

Where did you find the RW’s? I live in Houston and have been looking for a set.

Found a guy selling a LC on Craigslist with RWs and swapped him my wheels and cash.
Recently? If so I think I saw that rig for sale and considered doing the same thing. Too inconvenient from where I live tho

How are the AT3 4s's working out? Pics? Thank you!

Different suspension will play into this also. I'd imagine the stock LC suspension and especially LX AHC will have the best chance of making even a stiff riding tire, ride passably.

You bring up an interesting point about the AHC. I’m waiting on my tires to come in. But I’m mounting Heritage Edition wheels on my 2018 Lx and have chosen Open Country R/T’s. I’m hopeful the ride quality isn’t adversely affected.

Lots of good, thoughtful discussion in this thread. I’ll report back once they’re mounted and have a shakedown run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom