Do I Need to Lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some questions that I hope someone a little more mechanically inclined can help answer.

I have 4Runner that I purchased in Washington D.C. with plans to turn into my main overland vehicle until I found major rust on the frame joints.

I have purchased a Fox 2.0 suspension lift kit for the 4Runner as well as a set of SCS Ray 10's (17" which have a -38mm offset) I also have some 265/65/17 Toyo open country A/T's.

I picked up this GX470 over Christmas and would like to build this out as my new main. Does anyone know of any sites that would help me size out to see if there would be rubbing or if I need to do a lift before I can put the new wheels and tires on? Any recommendations would also be helpful!

I would recommend just searching around here on the forum. There is so much information out there that I’m almost positive you could find all the answers you’re looking for with some searching. There is even a Gx470 lift and info thread that has just about every suspension/wheel and tire combo out there.

What are you specifically trying to do with your GX? Dirt roads? forest service roads? Rock crawling? Mall crawling?

I would recommend just searching around here on the forum. There is so much information out there that I’m almost positive you could find all the answers you’re looking for with some searching. There is even a Gx470 lift and info thread that has just about every suspension/wheel and tire combo out there.

What are you specifically trying to do with your GX? Dirt roads? forest service roads? Rock crawling? Mall crawling?
Mostly Forest service roads with some rock crawling here and there. My biggest thing is that I already have the Fox 2.0 and would rather not go through the 8 week wait times for a new suspension system.

I have some questions that I hope someone a little more mechanically inclined can help answer.

I have 4Runner that I purchased in Washington D.C. with plans to turn into my main overland vehicle until I found major rust on the frame joints.

I have purchased a Fox 2.0 suspension lift kit for the 4Runner as well as a set of SCS Ray 10's (17" which have a -38mm offset) I also have some 265/65/17 Toyo open country A/T's.

I picked up this GX470 over Christmas and would like to build this out as my new main. Does anyone know of any sites that would help me size out to see if there would be rubbing or if I need to do a lift before I can put the new wheels and tires on? Any recommendations would also be helpful!
265/65 you won’t rub, that’s stock size

The stock wheel is 7.5" wide and has 25 mm of offset. So with a -38 mm offset, you'll have the wheels sticking out around 2.5 inches more, plus another 0.75" for the wider wheel (9"), putting you around 3.25" wider than stock.

I think you might get some rubbing on the inner fenders and will need to do some trimming to accommodate it, but probably don't need a lift.

I have to ask - why such a high negative offset on the wheels? Sticking them out that far will result in a lot of mud/dirt getting sprayed on the side of the GX, and probably cause the need to trim. It also might look a bit odd with a relatively short 265/65 tire, and the tire will be kind of stretched on the 9" wide rim. IMO, a zero offset wheel is perfect for a GX. They'd stick out 1" further and put the tires just outside of the fenders, and won't need a lift.

The stock wheel is 7.5" wide and has 25 mm of offset. So with a -38 mm offset, you'll have the wheels sticking out around 2.5 inches more, plus another 0.75" for the wider wheel (9"), putting you around 3.25" wider than stock.

I think you might get some rubbing on the inner fenders and will need to do some trimming to accommodate it, but probably don't need a lift.

I have to ask - why such a high negative offset on the wheels? Sticking them out that far will result in a lot of mud/dirt getting sprayed on the side of the GX, and probably cause the need to trim. It also might look a bit odd with a relatively short 265/65 tire, and the tire will be kind of stretched on the 9" wide rim. IMO, a zero offset wheel is perfect for a GX. They'd stick out 1" further and put the tires just outside of the fenders, and won't need a lift.
The scs Ray 10's only come with a -38mm offset in a 17x9. I was lucky enough to find a set of 5 for under retail as they are on constant backorder of about 8 months usually. I wasn't thrilled to find out they are -38mm but I think the stance will look aggressive and the brushed bronze looks so clean. Thank you for the insight about the mud flying up though, I might have to throw some flaps on.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 12.03.08 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom