Do I have a limited slip rear differential? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jdfern

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a 2003 UZJ100 with 227000 miles and very limited service records. I've been going through everything I can to make sure all fluids are new and correct, as well as repairing issues I find. During the rear differential oil change I was trying to determine if it was a limited slip or not. Wheels off the ground and in neutral when I spin a wheel clockwise, the other wheel does nothing, if I spin the wheel counter clockwise the other wheel spins the opposite direction. I'm thinking it does not have limited slip, but shouldn't the wheels turn the opposite direction no matter which way I spin them? Does this sound normal? Thanks.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but how good were the LSD's in the earlier models LX's?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but how good were the LSD's in the earlier models LX's?

Mine worked great. I found a locking axle and ended up replacing it though.

Well, tell me what diff I have. 1998 Land Cruiser, both rear wheels off of the ground, transmission and transfer case in neutral parking brake off. If I had an open diff shouldn't the rear wheels spin in opposite directions when turned manually? In my case the opposite wheel does not spin at all no matter which direction I spin the wheel or from which side of the vehicle I spin the wheel. The other thing is that my 1998 Toyota LC Repair Manual shows repair procedures for open, locked, or limited slip diffs. If LS diff's were not available in '98-99 then why are the procedures in the manual? Just asking.

You can add gear oil with LS additives into a non-LS diff. Sometimes you can't even find gear oil without the additive since it's harmless to add anyway

Well, tell me what diff I have. 1998 Land Cruiser, both rear wheels off of the ground, transmission and transfer case in neutral parking brake off. If I had an open diff shouldn't the rear wheels spin in opposite directions when turned manually? In my case the opposite wheel does not spin at all no matter which direction I spin the wheel or from which side of the vehicle I spin the wheel. The other thing is that my 1998 Toyota LC Repair Manual shows repair procedures for open, locked, or limited slip diffs. If LS diff's were not available in '98-99 then why are the procedures in the manual? Just asking.
Put the transfer case in H or L to prevent the drive shaft from turning, this will direct the force to the other wheel.

That's probably because you're spinning the driveshaft. leave the transmission and t-case in gear and try again. Amaze yourself as the other tire spins the opposite direction

The other thing is that my 1998 Toyota LC Repair Manual shows repair procedures for open, locked, or limited slip diffs. If LS diff's were not available in '98-99 then why are the procedures in the manual? Just asking.

Manuals aren't always perfect. Limited slips will look like this:

LSD pic.jpg

The manual is written to include more than one market (U.S. Market). You have an 'open' rear diff and ATRAC system.

For the U.S. market the 98-99 model LX's came standard with a LSD. The same year model Land Cruisers came standard with an open rear diff...but had a locking rear diff 'option'. All 100 series 2000-2007 had open rear diffs and ATRAC (U.S. Market)

After Ayune suggested leaving the xmission and xfer case in gear I do indeed have an open diff. What I had always thought. Don't believe I have ATRAC though. 1998 LC in my driveway.

After Ayune suggested leaving the xmission and xfer case in gear I do indeed have an open diff. What I had always thought. Don't believe I have ATRAC though. 1998 LC in my driveway.

You sir, are correct.

I have a Mexican Market 2004 100 Series Land Cruiser and am replacing all fluids. My local Toyota Dealer is offering two different types of Differential Gear Oil - both are GL-5 75W-85, but have two different Types - LX (Labeled for LSD and Transfer) and the other is LT, without the label. I don`t think 2004 had Limited Slip Differential in any world market, so my tendency is to use the LT labeled gear oil. Thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a Mexican Market 2004 100 Series Land Cruiser and am replacing all fluids. My local Toyota Dealer is offering two different types of Differential Gear Oil - both are GL-5 75W-85, but have two different Types - LX (Labeled for LSD and Transfer) and the other is LT, without the label. I don`t think 2004 had Limited Slip Differential in any world market, so my tendency is to use the LT labeled gear oil. Thoughts would be appreciated.

You likely have an open diff . But....you can use Gear Oil for LSD diffs (it is only different in that it has friction modifiers in it) in your open diff with no adverse reactions.....just to be sure.

Last edited:
Thanks, flintknapper. I will go with the 75W-85 LT. My manual is recommending the 75W-90 for transfer case - and 80W-90 for the differential. Do you see a problem with using the available 75W-85 in both the transfer case and the differential?

Thanks, flintknapper. I will go with the 75W-85 LT. My manual is recommending the 75W-90 for transfer case - and 80W-90 for the differential. Do you see a problem with using the available 75W-85 in both the transfer case and the differential?

Not at all. Especially in a temperate climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom