DIY Vinyl Hood Wrap Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow CSC Mudders,

My hood has too much patina for my liking. I'm not quite ready for a paint job so I opted to try a $55 piece of 3M vinyl I found on eBay.

I've got the 80 all cleaned up and ready for the vinyl. Now, I need to pop out the windshield washer sprayers, which requires me to pop out the plastic clips that are holding on my really old under hood insulation. :)

Any tips on the plastic clip removal for the insulation and/or the windshield washer sprayers would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to wrap this up today or tomorrow, but like most car projects for me...they seem to take 5x longer than expected.

Thanks in advance,
Cactuscrzr

IMG_2014.JPG

Just about to rip it off. My son (15) and I worked on it. This is our second attempt and it's surprisingly better than the first. It looks bad in person.

Lessons learned:
1. No substitute for a good paint job (for me)
2. Napa has the best hood insulation clip assortments at the best prices (Checked Auto-zone and O'reilly)
3. If you want vinyl, I suggest having a pro install it

In summary, I had fun trying. Between the two sheets I'm in about $130, including hood insulation clips and a felt squeegee. My better half came out in the garage and had fun pushing out some of the bubbles (she is a rare sight in the garage). It was worth a shot.

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Last edited:
looks pretty good in the pictures..

That looks Amazing!

Who did you use for the paint? Are you happy with the results?

Also what is your plan for the fender to flare gaskets? You know that rubber material that resides in the gap between the flares and fender? I could only find it in black... are you planning to replace it with black or other?

Also what is your plan for the fender to flare gaskets? You know that rubber material that resides in the gap between the flares and fender? I could only find it in black... are you planning to replace it with black or other?
Great question... I just ordered new ones through Richie at CBT. I did not inquire about color. I will find out soon. :)

Let me know what you decide to do. The only ones that were available for my LX450 were black. They had a few pieces in brown but they are pretty much unobtainium now. Let me know if you decide to keep them black or paint them to match. If you paint them, I would like to hear the details...

Let me know what you decide to do. The only ones that were available for my LX450 were black. They had a few pieces in brown but they are pretty much unobtainium now. Let me know if you decide to keep them black or paint them to match. If you paint them, I would like to hear the details...
I don't have it back yet, but here is what it looks like with black gaskets. Fine with me. That's how my 06 Tundra was from the factory.

IMG_3050.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom