DIY Vapor Barrier Polyethylene (Visqueen) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading many threads about replacing my door vapor barriers I've decided to go the DIY route and make my own out of polyethylene sheeting (Visqueen).

I just wanted to know if I should roll with the 4 mils or 6 mils or if it really doesn't matter. I'm also looking to upgrade my sound system soon and would like to choose the best available option.

Edit: What material should I use to seal/glue the vapor barrier back on? Preferably I would like to use whatever the used in factory since it's easier to replace if in case I have to replace something in the future.

Thanks for the read!

Last edited:
The adhesive used on the vapor barriers should be some form of butyl tape but may have a formulation more specific for automotive purposes. There are different colors and qualities of butyl tape and in my experience it's worth tracking down the higher quality versions as they are easier to handle and last a very long time in the right applications.

Here's an example, don't know if it's the best option but it does get good reviews:

Amazon product ASIN B07CTQ67X9

I'm pretty sure that Toyota still make and sell the originals. And I don't think they are expensive.

Just buy the originals from Toyota. They are cheap, precut, and have all the right slits and pockets for door accessories. I started down the same path as you a few years back when someone suggested just buying them from Toyota.

I’ve replaced all of the vaper barriers with OEM and it’s cheap and mostly easy. Zero reason to start with scratch unless they are NLA.

Visqueen is merely a brand name catch all, (for the uninitiated) think Kleenex.

That will work, but you'll probably want to slice it down the middle since it's pretty wide for this application.

Personally, I replaced the membranes with sound deadening. It's waterproof, creates a decent noise barrier, and adds mass to the door. Seems to be pretty common in the car audio world.

What a fortuitous thread. I was just brainstorming about this today.

I'm pretty sure that Toyota still make and sell the originals. And I don't think they are expensive.
Just buy the originals from Toyota. They are cheap, precut, and have all the right slits and pockets for door accessories. I started down the same path as you a few years back when someone suggested just buying them from Toyota.
They do for about $50 last time I checked but if I'm trying to stick to a college student budget, plus I might have to tear into it again at some point so I think the DIY route might save me money for more parts later on :doh:

I’ve replaced all of the vaper barriers with OEM and it’s cheap and mostly easy. Zero reason to start with scratch unless they are NLA.

Visqueen is merely a brand name catch all, (for the uninitiated) think Kleenex.
How cheap is cheap? Last time I checked it was around $50 per side.

That will work, but you'll probably want to slice it down the middle since it's pretty wide for this application.

Personally, I replaced the membranes with sound deadening. It's waterproof, creates a decent noise barrier, and adds mass to the door. Seems to be pretty common in the car audio world.
Do mean putting something like foil tape over the metal bits or material like Dynamat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom