DIY - Rock Slider Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered my materials today to build my sliders. I am using 2x2x1/4" square main tubes with 1-1/4x0.120" round outer tubes and 1-1/4x1-1/4x0.120 square legs attached to 1/4x5" full length frame mounts. if this is confusing please let me know and I will try to clarify. I plan to utilize the numerous M8 threaded bungs in the frame (9 passenger and 7 driver) along with a few through bolt locations, 2 U bolts per side, and 1 or 2 nutserts in the bottom of each Frame utilizing existing holes. I will do my best to illustrate the build so I can contribute to this awesome forum which has helped me so much. Stay tuned...

Note: any suggestions are welcomed :)

Last edited:
Any suggestions or requests? I made one set for my Durango and they held up just fine but I made them out of all round tubing and utilized the body mounts and a frame brace, similar to Jeeps. I want to keep these fairly simple and provide the protection that I need along with the step that the wifey needs.

I can try to do some video but I am not experienced with that so be prepared for it to be pretty bad. But, I guess that as long as it is helpful, it is okay.

Also, disclaimer: I tend to overbuild things because I don't fully understand all of the engineering principals nor do I fully trust my welding. That is why my Super 7 build is 1300lbs.

Last edited:
I picked up the materials at the end of this week but the Flu got a hold of me and benched me this weekend. All I was able to do was cut each end of the main tubes at 45*. Hopefully, next weekend will be more productive.

Cool. I've always liked the bolt on sliders, never liked the idea of welding to my frame.... Not sure why ??
As a poor man's "slider" I've even looked at mounting some iron poles to the three running board metal brackets, ha. (I know they aren't connected to the frame)

Last edited:
runningdrew: Assuming I have all the materials i need, the total cost is $253.00. Using 3/16" 2x2 would make it slightly cheaper.

I spent, what seems like, all day marking and drilling holes in the 1/4" plate for the frame mount. Once I get it all cleaned up, I will share a picture. Surprisingly, the Harbor Freight drill bits held up very well.

I'd suggest doing plates against threaded bolt holes vs a smaller foot on the frame, ergo you could have 2 legs attached to one plate which bolts up to several of those captive threaded holes, load distribution. If you bolt through the frame, sleeve it inside so the frame doesn't crush.
U-bolt around is good. I helped install white knuckles on a GX and shock works on an Xterra with U-bolt around the frame.
Square stock legs and main slider, round tube for outrigger and kick.

Super psyched to see it go.

I have a bunch of pix if the WNO install. I'll dump them in my album...

Agreed. I am using a 1/4"x5"x60" plate that will bolt to the existing threaded holes in the frame, a few through bolts with sleeved full length backs using 1/8" channel, and 2 U-bolts on each side. I will be using 4 1.5"x0.120 square tubing for the legs oriented in a diamond instead of square to the ground (I hope that makes sense).

Trying to determine the right placement for the main siider tube. I think I settled on 9" legs from the base plate to the main tube.

Messy garage :(. This picture shows the 9" legs oriented at a 45* angle. My thought is that if they hit anything, they will be more likely to slide up and over instead of bashing into it.

View attachment 1919794 Trying to determine the right placement for the main siider tube. I think I settled on 9" legs from the base plate to the main tube.
Right on. Diamond configuration for legs is good but don't forget to gusset to main plate from the legs, 1/2" plate gussets?
I've been thinking of how to use something, maybe 3/16" plate to match contours and do a little eye-candy cover job for that spot the running boards cover up....for those of us who didn't trim the plastic to cover up those fittings. 🤔

Last edited:
View attachment 1919802
Messy garage :(. This picture shows the 9" legs oriented at a 45* angle. My thought is that if they hit anything, they will be more likely to slide up and over instead of bashing into it.
Messy shop is a sound mind. 😆

There's a "how do you organize your garage/shop" thread. 😉

I like the 45 orientation on legs, some other slider does that, but in ant remember which one. 🤔

But yeah, don't forget the gussets to the frame plate. 🤙

Last edited:
I will definitely add gussets to the legs once it is all where i want it. I will use 1/4" for the gussets because that is all my welder will do. I am also planning to add mounts for some rock lights to replace the lights that were in the running boards. Does anyone know where to get the factory plug so i can wire it like the factory?

I will definitely add gussets to the legs once it is all where i want it. I will use 1/4" for the gussets because that is all my welder will do. I am also planning to add mounts for some rock lights to replace the lights that were in the running boards. Does anyone know where to get the factory plug so i can wire it like the factory?
Double quarter inch plates? I'm in the same boat, 110v welder. 🤙
Factory running board lighting harness is about center of that frame rail, on top.... I just cable-tied and tucked it up for possible.later use.

IMG_20170130_131037.jpg

IMG_20170130_131137.jpg

IMG_20170130_131119.jpg

Get some self adhesive waterproof rope lights off amazon and wire em up! Stick em to the body for fancy bright night lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom