DIY Quick Attach Maxtrax Mount to OEM Crossbars (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought some Maxtrax so I'm a real overlander now.

Needed a way to mount them on my roof, it's the most logical real estate for me given my setup. Fits right between my skinny Yakima basket and my Yakima awning. And since I can barely fit the LC in my garage, all things mounted to my roof need to be quickly removable.

So here's my overpriced DIY solution.

1x Warrior Products one piece mount (Warrior Products MAXTRAX & RotopaX Mount System - https://www.quadratec.com/p/warrior-products/full-maxtrax-rotopax-mount-system)

4x Thule replacement crossbar clamps (https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/7521241001.html)

4x Maxtrax pins from a friend, shoutout Nic Cardin

The Thule clamps are easy to secure to the crossbars which is what I wanted. They have one 6mm thread coming out the top of each clamp, which I put a washer and lock nut on the other side of. I like the full length one piece Warrior Products mount because if I had the two piece board mounts, I'd have to line up the front cross bar mount with the rear crossbar mount each time I put it on. This is probably a pretty overpriced way to mount them, but such are the sacrifices of having OEM crossbars. If you're not as lazy as me, you could probably cut some metal and do something for cheaper. But these fit my purpose, can be locked to keep honest people honest, and were quick to put together.

Any pics? Second link does not open for me but it could be just me.

Yeah I thought they uploaded but I guess not lol. Should bring here.

20230920_174208.jpg

20230920_174219.jpg

20230920_174237.jpg

Nice 👏 Maxtracks itself is an fancy expensive solution for a simple problem 😂

if anyone wants to truly ghetto rig it you can get some knockoffs tracks and feed some long ass bolts through it…

Yours looks much nicer!

382AF5B7-6399-4503-A294-6BE1FDA8F66B.jpeg

FE8F9656-AF7B-4424-BF22-6C5405F02AFC.jpeg

Nice 👏 Maxtracks itself is an fancy expensive solution for a simple problem 😂
Depends. There's certain caaes they're useful, though I do laugh at people who carry them as a fashion piece.

Do you think they can't serve a good use?

Depends. There's certain caaes they're useful, though I do laugh at people who carry them as a fashion piece.

Do you think they can't serve a good use?

I do have a cheaper version of traction boards. I used those a couple of times, sure that is doing its job and got me out. Maxtracks are crazy expensive and the only advantage of that is stackable compared to mine.

Btw, once they are used in mud, sure no one wants those to go up on the roof without cleaning those up.

I do have a cheaper version of traction boards. I used those a couple of times, sure that is doing its job and got me out. Maxtracks are crazy expensive and the only advantage of that is stackable compared to mine.

Btw, once they are used in mud, sure no one wants those to go up on the roof without cleaning those up.
Haha, well in Alaska mud often gets on my roof anyway from my tires flinging it, so a little mud from traction boards won't hurt. See pics below. I haven't wheeled in the L48 but I'm sure it happens down there too.

1000017996.jpg

1000017998.jpg

I don't plan on using them much in mud to get me out assuming I'm stuck. I asked because that's what I figured you'd say.

I'll more so use them to create ramps for short / steep ledges, especially icy ones. See here beginning of the video, .

Also, to act as a wedge against my tires placed perpendicular for when I'm winching someone so it helps me not get pulled towards them as much if I am also on unstable ground.

I was tempted by the cheaper alternative traction boards to maxtrax, but I seen too much about the non maxtrax brands breaking. I think the only ones I've seen do ok are the "action trax" made here in the US. But they seem to be more bendable, maybe slightly different use cases. Would love to try some of those out though.

Haha, well in Alaska mud often gets on my roof anyway from my tires flinging it, so a little mud from traction boards won't hurt. See pics below. I haven't wheeled in the L48 but I'm sure it happens down there too.

View attachment 3436548
View attachment 3436550

I don't plan on using them much in mud to get me out assuming I'm stuck. I asked because that's what I figured you'd say.

I'll more so use them to create ramps for short / steep ledges, especially icy ones. See here beginning of the video, .

Also, to act as a wedge against my tires placed perpendicular for when I'm winching someone so it helps me not get pulled towards them as much if I am also on unstable ground.

I was tempted by the cheaper alternative traction boards to maxtrax, but I seen too much about the non maxtrax brands breaking. I think the only ones I've seen do ok are the "action trax" made here in the US. But they seem to be more bendable, maybe slightly different use cases. Would love to try some of those out though.

That's a lot of mud. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find those golden traction boards if you put those in that deep mud. Btw, nice IG profile, you got a follower.

There is plenty of mud down here. Swamplands and muddy recreational parks (private). I'm not a fan of those. I used mine on the beach several times on my trailer and 100. Only used a couple of times on slippery ground for other cars. Not much use of it for me.

My traction boards are also on the roof rack. But I keep straps in case I can tie up to the spare tire. Well, i8mud :geek:

That's a lot of mud. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find those golden traction boards if you put those in that deep mud. Btw, nice IG profile, you got a follower.

There is plenty of mud down here. Swamplands and muddy recreational parks (private). I'm not a fan of those. I used mine on the beach several times on my trailer and 100. Only used a couple of times on slippery ground for other cars. Not much use of it for me.

My traction boards are also on the roof rack. But I keep straps in case I can tie up to the spare tire. Well, i8mud :geek:
Right on! I'll shoot you a follow back. Golden/tan ones were my friends but I wouldn't find my grey ones in mud either. If I myself am stuck in mud, 9 times out of 10 I'll just use my winch to get me out haha. Snow I think traction boards can be a bit better but it helps a lot more to have four in that case.

Update to this thread, made a YouTube video covering this DIY on my channel. Link below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom