DIY "Drawer" system build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dariengear.com
Hey guys,

Some of you may know, some may not. I have an absurdly large subwoofer in the back of my truck from the PO. Considering its so expensive and how little people are offering for it, ill probably keep it for a while.

Having said that. i wanted to be able to fit my Dobinsons fridge in there too.

So, i'm designing a simple "drawer" system for my 80. The reason i quote drawers, is that at the moment i have zero intention of putting drawers. I get no benefit from them in how i use my truck, and i prefer just the open cubbies the design below will render.

So i'm tweaking the design. I'm trying to use the stock third row seat mounting bolts on one side and also the bolts for the cargo hooks. This is a very preliminary design. Right now i'm jut having fun throwing ideas around.

Ill use this thread to kind of log my progress. Let me know if you guys have any ingenious ideas!

I's say ditch the mall crawler sub woofer altogether, and put the space it takes up to real use by going the full overland route with a real drawer/fridge/sleeping platform build.

Look up the sealed enclosure specs for that sub and make a new (way smaller) box for it. Integrate it into whatever you build.

That huge ported box has got to go.
Agree. If that is JL W7 8" mine is in a way smaller enclosure and sound great.

Agree. If that is JL W7 8" mine is in a way smaller enclosure and sound great.

Its a 12" in a box designed by JL audio. That's the optimal volume for the sub according to them. This is a temp solution while i get a smaller, easier to relocate sub. Just want to find the right buyer; its a 1200$ sub and enclosure!

Make a sonotube subwoofer out of it and move it into the house?

Its a 12" in a box designed by JL audio. That's the optimal volume for the sub according to them. This is a temp solution while i get a smaller, easier to relocate sub. Just want to find the right buyer; its a 1200$ sub and enclosure!

Thougth id put an update here... I decided against the Sub centric design for the drawers cause i might be replacing it for a smaller one. Anyway, i still want some drawers!

After modeling several plywood kinds, duals, singles, i started modeling some similar to those made by ARB and Dobinsons. I like how they are more modular, and that they are lighter but stronger.

So the top piece is just the drower, the bottom piece is the actual box assembly.

As it is modeled now, this drawer is made of only bends, and one sheet of metal. After consulting with some bend brake engineers, they said it was possible though it might add cost due to complexity and setup time. That means i will probably be redesigning these as a two or three piece drawer.

And this is the frame itself. I did it similar to those made by the big companies, but i am designing them so they are easily put together, and parts are interchangeable (side to side, Top to bottom). It's turning out to be a fun and interesting project!

There will be a plywood top that will mount to the pre-drilled holes, and the drawer will also have a plywood face with a latch. Drawers will likely be on roller bearings for a cheaper end product!

I broke my foot and relocated states all within the last couple of months, so Its paused. Hopefully I can get back on my feet (literally lol) in the next couple of weeks!

funny just came across this thread and just the other day watched your YouTube video from April, nice rig!!

I like my KISS drawers. If you still want a DIY project, I'd at least check out the engineering behind the KISS drawers as they do not use drawer slides. This makes the drawers significantly lighter and cheaper...and less things to rattle.

I like my KISS drawers. If you still want a DIY project, I'd at least check out the engineering behind the KISS drawers as they do not use drawer slides. This makes the drawers significantly lighter and cheaper...and less things to rattle.

Ive seen those, they are cool. I just wanna do my own exactly how I want them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom