DIY Anti Condensation Mat in RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Wondering what others have found to do a diy anti condensation mat in my RTT. I have a hardshell now and would like to put some type of mat or device under the mattress to help air flow and prevent condensation. I know tepui used to sell one but they are sold out. Wondering of any readily available products from home depot or ?

I did a search on this subject and some report using just some cedar boards spaced under the mat to elevate the mattress a bit. I figure I can put them in place with double sided tape.

any other ideas?

Thanks,

Noah

I am going to try some of those cheap mats for kids rooms. They are made of flip flop sandal foam. If anything Id be out $20, add a little pad under the matress and insulate the metal to fabric direct contac. Will report back after several days in Colorado for the SAS next month.

I am going to try some of those cheap mats for kids rooms. They are made of flip flop sandal foam. If anything Id be out $20, add a little pad under the matress and insulate the metal to fabric direct contac. Will report back after several days in Colorado for the SAS next month.

I can't see that helping at all with condensation? no air flow with just laying down some foam? just trying to understand your logic......

Most condensation I have experienced in mine is from the cooler air temp transfering through the aluminum floor to the underside of the warmer mattress. Insulation of sorts. It may or may not work but $20 is a heck of a lot less than the spendy other. Worse case I'm out a few bucks.

Most condensation I have experienced in mine is from the cooler air temp transfering through the aluminum floor to the underside of the warmer mattress. Insulation of sorts. It may or may not work but $20 is a heck of a lot less than the spendy other. Worse case I'm out a few bucks.

good point, I wonder if a thick towel would help soak it up?

I wonder if you took those foam pieces with foam 3m tape and installed them and then cut long slats lengthwise in them? that way the mattress would be elevated and the condensation could find a way out to dry up.

I installed the Anti-fatigue mats in the RTT for SAS #1. 4 nights in the lower 50's with rain and I had zero condensation when we packed up and closed the tent. The mat is close to 3/8" thick. I installed it with 2" wide thin double sided tape. The extra padding was welcome also.

20170805_202533.jpg

Its worth a shot. Cost a whopping $25 and a couple hours time. Im happy with the results and the wife was comfortable after the upgrade.

Its worth a shot. Cost a whopping $25 and a couple hours time. Im happy with the results and the wife was comfortable after the upgrade.
Hi @POTATO LAUNCHER , still happy with the anti-fatigue layer for your RTT? No issue with condensation?

Hi @POTATO LAUNCHER , still happy with the anti-fatigue layer for your RTT? No issue with condensation?
After many years I am happy to report no issues and the comfort has stayed the same. It's basically the difference between being barefoot and having the cheap flip-flops on your feet. Just enough to cushion the pressure points.
As far as condensation it has done its job keeping condensation down due to insulation effect. That is all relevent to when, where and humidity while camping. It's been dry every time I close it up even after several days of afternoon rains or West Texas thunderstorms with 80mph winds.

Hello sir. I know this is an old conversation now but could you tell me where I can find these mats that you purchased for your RT?

Hello sir. I know this is an old conversation now but could you tell me where I can find these mats that you purchased for your RT?
Amazon is the cheapest probably. Just search for "foam floor mats" and dozens of versions will come up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom