Dissent offroad 200 series offerings. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

benc

Supporting Vendor
Threads
As some of you may know @fireball was kind enough to ship me his new 2016 for product development.
I liked it so much I decided to sell the Tacoma and picked up a 2016 myself!
I'm working on steel and aluminum front bumpers first, next will be aluminum roof racks, sliders ect.
Wanted to start a thread to document the progress. More details and prices will be released as products are finalized.
I was able to get the front bumper in steel mounted to the frame today, hoping to have the aluminum finalized and mounted tomorrow.
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG

Wow! Nice going! I like it!

@benc, are you planning to run a threaded rod through the mounts which ties into the frame, like ARB and TJM do? I've read of a few instances where using just the original bumper mounting plate can cause the plate (and thus the bumper) to eventually separate from the vehicle if the welds holding the plate to the frame crack from the additional weight of the bumper and winch. It seems like a secondary mounting method like the threaded rod and nut plate would act as a safety and might even prevent cracking as it basically pulled the bumper inward towards the engine bay.

On my Trail Tailor bumper I ended up having a shop re-weld the bead around the plate to strengthen the frame weld, which still looks good after 9-10k miles. It wasn't a huge deal but at that point it's not quite a bolt-on solution.

@benc, are you planning to run a threaded rod through the mounts which ties into the frame, like ARB and TJM do? I've read of a few instances where using just the original bumper mounting plate can cause the plate (and thus the bumper) to eventually separate from the vehicle if the welds holding the plate to the frame crack from the additional weight of the bumper and winch. It seems like a secondary mounting method like the threaded rod and nut plate would act as a safety and might even prevent cracking as it basically pulled the bumper inward towards the engine bay.

On my Trail Tailor bumper I ended up having a shop re-weld the bead around the plate to strengthen the frame weld, which still looks good after 9-10k miles. It wasn't a huge deal but at that point it's not quite a bolt-on solution.
Likely not through the frame but I will have a reinforcement that will bolt to the factory tow bolts, this will wrap around the front of the frame and eliminate the issue with the factory mount.

I love the look of it! Would it be able to fit a 12.5k comeup or warn winch? Also, any idea on net weight?
Yes. Aluminum is around 50lbs and steel around 110 lbs.

What about a rear bumper offering with tire swing out?
Yes sir. That is next up in steel and aluminum.

is this newer front bumper within the same high clearance, approach, as the original releases you have produced? if any differences what are those differences and what advantages or disadvantages. looks good, nice craftsmanship!

is this newer front bumper within the same high clearance, approach, as the original releases you have produced? if any differences what are those differences and what advantages or disadvantages. looks good, nice craftsmanship!
Thanks!
This is the first one on a 200.
It's based off my 100 series bumper.
As for clearance it's likely one of the highest on the center but may be a little lower on the wings than some of the full replacement bumpers.

would it work on a 2015? I'm not interested in a winch, I just want some protection from the suicidal deer. Possibly the addition of a pre-runner type bar to protect the grill?

As some of you may know @fireball was kind enough to ship me his new 2016 for product development.
I liked it so much I decided to sell the Tacoma and picked up a 2016 myself!
I'm working on steel and aluminum front bumpers first, next will be aluminum roof racks, sliders ect.
Wanted to start a thread to document the progress. More details and prices will be released as products are finalized.
I was able to get the front bumper in steel mounted to the frame today, hoping to have the aluminum finalized and mounted tomorrow. View attachment 1852312View attachment 1852313View attachment 1852314View attachment 1852315

I will def be in for one in aluminum!! Bumper looks great, can't wait to see what you come up with the rear!

I may need one. Aluminum only. Keep us posted.

Bout time there's a solid aluminum option! Doesn't hurt that it looks great also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom