Disk Brake ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Checked out the tech section and didn't see any info.

I swapped a '79 disk axle under my '75 and was wondering if anyone had any experience running the brake lines to the calipers on the new axle.

The one thing that I have noticed is that on the '75 axle the brake line "t" from the master to the two lines that lead to the drums was on the driver side. In the '79 axle that I swaped under, the "t" is on the passenger side.

Do I have to run custom brake lines or can I get the stock lines between the the "t" and the calipers and just run it to the stock line coming off of the '75 master?

Anyone done this swap?

Thanks

I would run a line from the master over to the pass side of the truck, and make it like the '79, but that is just me, and what I did with my '69.

Not that big of a deal.

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve,

Makes a lot of sense. Did you look into using the stock '79 line from the master to the "T" on the axle?

What is difference between those lines and the earlier ones besides length?

Thanks for the info,

Ryan

I likewise ran a new line across the firewall to address the disc connections....picked up my lines from NAPA and custom bent them (AKA, zip ties....have been great for 6-7 years now....lol)

When I decided to swap to disc brakes in the front, I decided to do the rear at the same time. I took everything from the '79 donor truck, and installed it on my '69. There is a front and rear brake line junction that mounts on the pass. side frame that splits the lines front and rear. I plumbed in everything, trying to keep it clean. At the same time, I did rear disc too, this was back in '91, and I used the disc brake brakets from a place in CO, TSM, they were the fullsize GM calipers, that was fun without the proportioning valve for a while..

Thread pitch on all metric fittings between these years '75 and '79 will be the same. The only difference that I am aware of is routing between the vehicles for the drum and disc set ups..

On a customer truck, a '75, we did a disc conversion to his front end, and I just fabbed up lines, as all of his were rusty and in need of replacement. We used mini-outer components, and I left the drop for the brake line where it is on the '75, and made mounting tabs on the axle for the brake hoses that were set up to eliminate that little jumper tube and fitting affair on the backing plate. It was all things he supplied, and I do not remember all the components used, but I am sure that All-pro or someone like that would know what I am talking about..

Hopefully this is klear as mudd... :)

Good luck!

-Steve

There are two hoses listed on the Cruiser Facts corner....these eliminate the short hose/short line on the calipers, and allow you to ditch the backing plate. I used the shorter of them on mine, no complaints. Fit my stock 77 lines/calipers no problem.

Thanks Brian!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom