Difficult to swap a '93 Ford F350 tranny (non 80)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A buddy of mine just got done building a house and they no sooner moved in when the tranny died on their '93 Ford F-350 auto pickup. I've told him to hold off for a day while I tapped the knowledge of this list to find out how difficult a swap that would be if he simply bought a rebuilt unit and we installed it. I've never done it, but I honestly can't see it being much more than dropping a heavy part off a spacious RWD truck, and putting another back on. Other than smashing fingers or forgetting a connector it can't be rocket science, right?

The only issue that worries me would be if the engine and tranny have to come out as a unit to get to some of the bellhousing bolts. Then all bets are off and it becomes a major undertaking. Anyone know or have a source they could call and let me know if we can do this without taking the engine out?

Thanks in advance.

DougM

It is a BIG heavy sucker! They are also very expensive to rebuild and the rebuilder won't likely want you to do the labor for warranty purposes so they can make sure the cooler is flushed properly and everything is adjusted properly. For a good rebuild on an E4OD it can be $1100-2100. the labor for R&R should not be more than $200-250. It helps to have a good true trannie jack.

Hmm, hadn't thought about the warranty issue, nor the adjusting. Was thinking it was electronically controlled, but even then there might be adjustments, eh?

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom