Differential Fill Tip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
This has probably been posted here before, but I only recently learned about this tip, and I wish I knew this for the last 35 years where I made a mess filling diffs, transfer cases and transmissions.

The main thing is using *very low* pressure air from a compressor to push the fluid from the bottle into the reservoir.

You run a hose from your fluid bottle to the reservoir, and then apply *low* pressure from an air nozzle to a second hole.

Apply a bit of air, and the fluid pushes out, remove the air and the fluid stops.

If you are using a small bottle, you can usually find a hose that slips over the conical pour spout. For large bottles, I use a step drill to drill a slightly undersized hole in the lid. You want the hose to have an interference fit so air doesn't leak past.

I like to cut a v notch or two on the bottom of the hose to help avoid it sealing against the inside of the container.

I really want to emphasize that you don't want or need very much air pressure. Even with a few psi the bottle bulges, and fluid pushes out fine. I could imagine a big mess if things pop.

This is a much less messy way and faster way to do the job than anything else I've done (gravity filling also works if you have time, but has always been more messy for me).

IMG_9905.jpeg
IMG_9906.jpeg
IMG_9907.jpeg

Good ideas.

Or you could buy a oil pump made for that.

Or you could use an old Dawn gallon dish detergent bottle with the pump on it (Sam's Club) and wash it out very well, trim off the spout to make it round, and install a 3/8" fuel hose on the end. Fill it with gear oil and pump away.

I have used various pumps made for the purpose and every one of them makes more mess and is more hassle. Not saying you or anyone else needs to do it this way, but I can almost guarantee you won't go back after trying it.

I have used various pumps made for the purpose and every one of them makes more mess and is more hassle. Not saying you or anyone else needs to do it this way, but I can almost guarantee you won't go back after trying it.

True that, any of the cheap hand pumps suck badly.

Once you got one of these though (or similar) you never go back!

Cheers

Thanks for the air gun tip. I have used ALL the above too. Even having good hand pumps, it can still be messy. Plus I have to clean and wrap the pumps in something to keep them from getting contaminated and dripping on everything. Nice to see different ideas.

Five gallon pail pump has worked well for me filling axles, transmissions, and xfer case. I leave it in the pail and throw a trash bag over the top to keep dust out. I’ve not had much trouble with drips from something like this.
Amazon product ASIN B000OUW7CK

I use a paint pressure pot for gear oil, but it's an expensive buy-in. Pretty sure a sandblaster pot could be modified for the same result, but again that's fairly expensive. For ATF, I use a garden sprayer with the spray nozzle removed which works great because the applicator wand fits nicely into the dipstick tube. I'd bet it would work very well for gear oil, with much less chance of making a mess then pressurizing an oil container. It would be slower than my pressure pot, but probably faster than the pressurized oil container. Cheap, too.

Nice to see so many options for this. I'm sure this thread will help a lot of people find a way that works for them.

I still use a cheap hand pump on bottles, because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Only time I had to swear while doing my knuckle job was refilling the diff at the end.

I use a paint pressure pot for gear oil, but it's an expensive buy-in. Pretty sure a sandblaster pot could be modified for the same result, but again that's fairly expensive. For ATF, I use a garden sprayer with the spray nozzle removed which works great because the applicator wand fits nicely into the dipstick tube. I'd bet it would work very well for gear oil, with much less chance of making a mess then pressurizing an oil container. It would be slower than my pressure pot, but probably faster than the pressurized oil container. Cheap, too.
Seems like a good idea.

This was free for me, since I have all kinds of random tubing I've collected over the years, plus I already had a compressor and attachments. If someone didn't have a compressor already, it's probably not a great choice.

Again, the pressure is *VERY* low. So low that it seems like it shouldn't even work. It is so low it doesn't register on my regulator - 3 psi if I had to guess?

Also, speed isn't my objective, putting the correct amount of oil in and not making a stinky mess of it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom